From:
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 1996 12:17:58 -0700
There were quite a few questions on ECE raised.  Lets bring some reason back
to the issue.

If you examine these couple exceprts from yesterday's FML you will have to
question the call to expose your ferrets to ECE.  Many of us in Virginia had
ECE pass through.  Most of us have beaten it back.  Our ferrets were exposed
when we got more ferrets from a local shelter.  But once we cured those two
no more ferrets have come down with the disease.  We did not have any
breeders then but none of those we've brought in nor any other ferret that
has passed through has come down with the disease.

>From:    Pat Ball <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Questions to Vet's
>Does it prevent ECE from doing all the destruction to the ferrets digestive
>system that, from my understanding, ECE causes?

Doctor Kawasaki explained to us the damage ECE does to the digestive system,
it is traumatic.

>From:    BRUCE <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Pictures
>Before the ECE slowed Bandit and Kirby down

>Dooks to all, and thank you,all who have sent along advice and prayers with
>this horrible ECE Bandit and Kirby have.  Wouldn't wish this on anyone.
>It's worse than a some biological weapons I've heard about!

Those ferrets that had ECE were sickly the rest of their lives.  One has
since passed on and the other seems to be following.

It may be true that ECE has gotten into a pet store in Maryland.  Could have
been from some body who came into the store and bought some pet food.  Could
have come in on the person who filed this report on the FML.  She does admit
she has ECE in her house.  Their is still no evidence that Marshall Farms
has ECE or that it has "infiltrated" (or infected) the distribution system
itself.  But it may have since there is also no evidence it has not.

>This virus will not be going away any time soon (I've dealth with it 3.5
>years now) and there is no more funding to support research into ECE.  It
>has yet to be cultured, which is the first step in getting a vaccine made.

Regardless exposing your ferrets to a potentially fatal disease is not the
right answer.  I will not expose my human children to diseases such as
herpes and AIDS because they to will not be going away anytime soon.  I will
likewise not expose my ferrets to ECE.  Dr. Williams has said the same thing
several months back while he had time to post here.  I suspect most vets
here will agree as well.

ECE can be an extremely expensive and debilitating experience.  I don't feel
most ferret owners have a few hundred dollars to waste.  I don't think most
ferret owners would like to see their ferrets with their digestive systems
rotting away.  Months of their short lives would be taken by painful
dehydration and wasting away.  It is likely that the unfortunately inevitable
end would be hurried along.  Loss in the middle and loss at the end.

Then it appears to me the answer is to raise the funds and start work on
this.  Maybe LIFE and STAR* will volunteer, they claim to be such large
ferret organizations so I think they would be a logical choice.  I would
endorse and support them in this goal.

I welcome issues based debate on this but please no aspersions on my wife
or me personally.  We've had too much of that.

bill killian
zen and the art of ferrets