From:
Larry and Victoria Rouch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 18:12:58 -0500
Hearfelt thanks to the many Ferret-L members who responded to my request
for help on dealing with Slinky, the biting ten week old ferret.  I got
so much wonderful advice and finally went with the Bitter Apple and
"scruffing" combo.  I initially had tried "flicking" on advice from my
brother-in-law but quickly abandoned it for fear of injuring the poor
little guy.

Slinky is put off by the taste of Bitter Apple and seems less interested in
attacking my shoes.  For his occassional nipping of hands, which I've now
attributed to excitement rather than "meanness", I simply scruff him and
tell him no.

I'm not yet allowing him around the children.  I think that will take
awhile due to the age of the baby and my older son's autistic condition.

I believe with some work it will eventually be OK, but I don't want to rush
things.  In the evening after they go to bed Slinky has the run of the
kitchen and living room, which I've tried to ferret-proof.  As this is my
first ferret, please excuse my babbling about what you experienced owners
already know: This fellow is one of the most entertaining clowns I've ever
seen, and I've worked with A LOT of animals!  Slinky has discovered that
Christmas trees are for climbing, ornaments are for absconding and stashing
in couch cushions (don't worry; they're ferret-safe), houseplants are for
excavating and cats are loads of fun to harass.  He also thinks the
Christmas gifts are all his and I just noticed that a few are missing bows.

I use a little bell collar on him when he's out so I can keep track of
"Weasel Wanderings", but now I have another question.  I'd like to make
Slinky part of my educational programs, which focus on issues regarding
wildlife and exotics.  I often emphasize in these programs what a big
mistake it is to purchase an exotic or any other pet without adequate prior
research and use the ferret as an example of an exotic pet that's often
purchased on impulse.

I'd like to get Slink used to a harness and leash.  Can anyone recommend a
good escape proof harness that's comfortable and easy to use?

Thanks again for all the great advice.
Kindest Regards,
Victoria
http://localsonly.wilmington.net/rouch/wildlife.htm