From:
Lisa Carswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 13:10:26 -0500
>My problem is that although the former owners of Jesse said she had all her
>shots, they didn't give me any papers proving that fact.  I am afraid to
>let Cozy and Jesse "fight" and get used to each other, because Jesse may
>not be fully immunized against possible diseases.  Am I way off here?

Welcome to the list, John!  :) Could you call Jesse's former owners and ask
what vet they took her to?  Then you can call the vet and s/he can confirm
that she's had her immunizations...might be a good idea anyway so you would
know her medical history as well.

>Second question: how rough is too rough for ferret play/fight?

Ferret play can get pretty rough, but it looks more painful to us humans
than it is to the fuzzies.  As long as neither ferret is showing any obvious
signs of pain (i.e. screaming, drawing blood) you can let them tussle to
their hearts' content.

>Is this something that does or doesn't need to be done?  My ferret's Vet
>(who admits he is not very experienced in dealing with ferrets) does do
>this, to check for parasites he said.  What is your opinion on this?

Karla, my vet generally deworms all my animals during their annual checkups.
My Zorro did get worms once when he was a little over a year old.  The vet
told me he might have picked them up during an outside excursion.

>I know what you're all thinking - this is a child what can I expect?  But
>as I've said I am simply heartbroken over this.
>I will continue to pray for Ivory and keep up with her progress as best I
>can but I'd really like to know what all of you think about this situation.

Kristen, this is such a frustrating situation!  I've been worried about
Ivory since reading your first post on her condition.  I do hope you will
pursue it and somehow convince these people to get Ivory the care she needs.
I agree with you, though...it does seem odd that there isn't a vet who will
see a sick ferret in the entire city.  I'm keeping Ivory in my prayers and
hoping for the best.

Lisa

Mom of Zorro, Claudia, and Loki

"It's no harder to be nice than it is to be creepy. And it's much more fun."

                --Death of the Endless
                in Neil Gaiman's
                _Death: the High Cost of Living_