From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2009 11:57:00 -0400
>The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health
>Inspection Service (APHIS) is pleased to announce that beginning
>May 26, 2009, all Animal Care inspection reports for Class A, B,
>and C licensees and Class E, H, and T registrants (animal breeders,
>dealers, exhibitors, and registered exhibitors, intermediate handles,
>and carriers respectively) will be available online at
>http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/.

Here is the direct URL:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/inspection_list.shtml

Yes, for a number of years a person did have to submit a request to the
APHIS of the USDA to get inspection details about farms and breeders
who are large enough for federal inspection.

A good number of years ago, though, that info was available online for
a series of years so I am very glad to see that will again be so. I
can't recall if the USDA itself made it available or if someone else
did. You know, the farms and breeders themselves really should post it,
don't you think? Gads, I guess that was at least 15 years ago that the
info was readily available for a few years. I recall a western farm
that no longer exists doing well on inspection, and I remember that
in the reports I saw way back then Marshalls used to do better on
inspections than PV which used to do better than Triple F, but I have
absolutely no idea how they measure up now for the things that the
USDA can inspect. It will be very good to be able to see how a wide
assortment of places compare now, and what is noted that is obviously
wrong in the inspections. Distributors are also important to follow;
some do some very questionable things.

Excellent news, Dee! You have created many smiles.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: