From:
Jeffrey C Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 1994 08:17:15 -0400
In issue 886, Michael Flaster writes:
> Do ferrets usually know their owners?  Can they distinguish them from
> other people?  And is this based on sight, sound, or smell?

I believe that ferrets know their owners (I just got back from
vacation, and when we picked up the boys from the sitter, they
were *very* happy to see us.  It *may* have something to do with
their current illness [see my other submission for details], but
I've seen them react that way before.).  As ferret eyesight is
not very keen, I believe they recognize us by smell and sound.
Mojo also prefers to lay at my feet instead of my wife's ;-),
so I think he can tell us apart.

> Also, do
> they learn their names?  I know cats often ignore you if you call their
> name, but I think it's clear they know they're being called.  Is the
> same true of ferrets?

I think they do learn their names, although some other ferret folk I've
talked with about this think they just respond to the inflection in
your voice.  And our guys will come when we call them (if they aren't
doing something more interesting ;-).

--
Jeff Jones                      [log in to unmask]             Go Mojos!
eon corporation         (703) 715-8958               Wherever you go,