From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:46:55 EDT
Dear Amber,
I haven't responded to this as I wanted to have enough time to properly
reply.  Your post was so touching, and humbling, I still am searching for
the right words to say.  Thank you for telling us about Daniel.  I loved
hearing about him.  Thank you for the kind words you wrote.  And most of
all thank you for bringing attention to this.

It is very sad that autism has mysteriously escalated to its present rate.
A rate far too fast for many proffessionals to keep up with.  Public
awareness and education are definately needed.  I thank Modern Ferret for
having a pulse on the hot issues in this country and being daring enough
to publish Sean and Rocky's peice.  It is unique in that it features an
average autistic child, not the one in fifteen that are like that you see
depicted on television.  It is special because it focus's on how the
relationship between boy and ferret helped him

Rocky is unique.  I went to a shelter for him.  The shelter parents had
matched Sean up with Rocky and directed Sean to him.  They had picked the
most laid back, mushy, cuddly ferret in the bunch.  We also made sure that
Sean picked Rocky himself.  If he had focused on a nippy ferret, etc.. we
would have gone to another shelter to choose a more appropriate companion
for him.  I don't think that ferrets are the easiest or best pets for the
autistic across the board.  I think they are wonderful for moderate to mild
autistics and Aspergers kids.  I really believe they have great potential
as service animals for the autistic in and out of the classroom.

Modern Ferret has done the community a great service by making the article
available online for all.  If you go to www.modernferret.com, you can
download it and read it all.  I can't thank them enough.  And I'm so glad
you got to see it.  I remember all too well what it was like to feel
removed and alone in your situation.

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/