From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:17:32 -0400
It's late, a few hours till dawn actually.  Every few minutes I get a
visitor.  A paw on one of my feet, a nose on an ankle, a fang rub on a
toe.  The kids are checking on me, a scritch a treat, a quick drink and
they are gone.  On my desk in front of me is an old stocking cap.  Inside
there's an Angel, an angel with a pink nose.  And the nose is about all
you can see.  Once and a while the nose shows some signs of activity, and
maybe a big yawn will hide this angel nose.  But this morning the nose is
seems to be checking for my presence.  This is the sleeping place of Poe.
A snow white skinny blind Angel of love.  This is truly "My Girl".  In
fact she still hasn't accepted the lovely lady that shares out home and
the rest of the Kids.  The story of her finding me isn't important.  I'm
her human transport, she is my fellow traveler, in fact sometimes I have
to sneak out to avoid her.  But upon my return she lets me know she
didn't get to ride along in my coat pocket or in the sleeve of my coat.
Many a time a sales clerk has been amused by the little white face
peeking out my sleeve.  God gave my Angel Poe cataracts, sometimes it
looks as if she has no eyes at all, and they blend in with her white
Angel fur.

This seems to add to her magic.  When BUDDY the aloof one passed away Poe
adopted Dweezle, We actually saw Dweezle help Poe climb up the ramp to
Dweezles cage.  In the past Dweezle shared his sleepy sack and cage with
no one.  Only when BUDDY got sick did he let BUDDY share his sleepy sack.
Now Poe sleeps in front of me in her stocking cap, when I'm done I'll
hold her for a bit, a few jaw strokes a drink from the tap in the kitchen
sink, and I'll put her in with the Dweez .She HAS to go with her new pal
Dweezle.  It's wonderful to see the two together, and to watch Dweezle
help her up the ramp is a thing of joy.

I firmly believe they have helped each other through the passing of
BUDDY.  We've seen single kids protect food dishes that were once shared
by bonded pairs.

I guess I'm just musing on the wonder of the power of these little
spirits.

How they give us so much, yet never ask a thing from us.  Sometimes I
wonder if we humans are so well blessed, or a bit stingy.  It's a shame
they can't speak, think of the wisdom they could teach'

But I'm the guy that swears ferrets can purr.  Thank you Poe, thank you
to all the kiders of this house.

Our best wish to those who have lost a fur kid, it's never never easy.