From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 2004 16:34:57 -0400
There has been a recent thread on this list about plants and other
household poisons.  This is an important subject, and one ferret owners
need to be knowledgeable on, as ferrets will frequently try to taste
unknown objects, or carry them off in their mouths to hide them.

Part of ferret proofing always involves putting those things we know
can poison our little ones out of their reach.  But, there is always
the question, "Do we really know everything that can be poisonous to
ferrets?"

I would like to point out that at the Ferret Symposium 2005 in St. Louis
MO, Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald, of Animal Planet's Emergency Vet show will be
speaking on just this subject.  Dr. Fitzgerald has served as a member of
the Board of Directors of the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center, and
so this is a subject that he knows well.

Now, Ferret Symposium 2005 is still a long way off, and so people that
need immediate answers should turn to other resources, such as the IFC
Critical Links page that Sukie mentioned (http://www.ferretcongress.org).
But, I am sure his talk will be interesting (and entertaining) and will
alert us to some things we may not have even considered a problem.

Attending the Ferret Symposium can be an expensive undertaking, between
Symposium fees, travel expenses and hotel costs, but it is money well
spent.  I am sure anyone who has attended the past events will tell you
how much fun they had and how much they learned from the speakers and
other attendees.  And, each year the IFC tries to improve the event,
learning from our mistakes and successes.  I bring up cost only because,
by planning and saving money each week or month, it may be easier for
some to afford this event.  And so, while it is still almost a year
away, it is never too early to start planning and saving for the event.

I hope to see many old friends and meet many new faces at Ferret
Symposium 2005.  We are hoping the event will provide a weekend of both
enjoyment and important knowledge for ferret owners.  In addition to the
daily talks, there will be other fun activities, like a trip to the St.
Louis Zoo.

So, hopefully, all of you can "Meet me in St. Louis"!
--
Danee
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator