Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:15:32 +0000
Dear Ferret Folks-

Yesterday, a shelter operator in NH posted this:

> POSTED WITH PERMISSION:
>
> Northern NH area
>
> Human family has expanded ( human baby) and can no longer provide
> adequate care for 2 ferrets.
>
> 2 Female ferrets ages 5 & 6 yrs in good health.
>
> Are confined to cage as home situation does not currently allow
> time / space for play.
>
> Please call: AJ at 603 747-2460

As an obligate ferret lover, I can only assume that this means someone
is giving away a perfectly good baby! Now, I live pretty close to the
NH border and my hubby and I can't have skin kids. (Apparently I was
spayed at birth. Is that what those two blue dots in my ear mean?) We
figure we'll call AJ over the weekend and go check out the baby. I
figure, worst case scenario we try to re-home it on Craigslist. I
really don't want to see the kid dumped on a shelter.

Please, what sort of carrier will I need to bring the baby home? I'm
pretty sure that this is a newish baby, and I'm thinking I can stuff
him in my cat carrier if I take out that little snap-in food and water
dish. But I would love suggestions from you skin kid moms out there.

Thank god these people are not dumping the ferrets that they promised
to love and care for when they brought them home. That would be such a
rank betrayal, so irresponsible. No, the baby has to go. That's just
the way things are. It's a hard world.

If he's a boy, we're thinking of naming his Marshall. If a girl, maybe
Jill?

Alexandra in MA