From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 02:04:08 -0800
From: Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>

To Tracy Kimberely, Charleen Schuster, Liane Beckwith, et al,

My apprehensions over potential difficulty as a consequence of fostering
ferrets has generated, among other responses, this one from a dear lady,
one Ms. Barb, to wit:

Hi Ed

You recently posted to the FML
>Is it possible to fostercare a ferret?  ... well, yes it's possible, but
>... let me think about that???

>The Alberta Ferret Society uses a fostering system for all of its rescued
>ferrets.  In our case our foster families are all members of our Society.
>Any member who chooses to foster is required to sign a "Fostering Contract"
>prior to placement of a rescue into their home.  In a nutshell the contract
>states that the ferret(s) are the sole property (I hate that word) of the
>AFS and that we can remove them from the premises at any time for any
>reason.  It lists basic care and exercise requirements for the ferret(s)
>and also absolves the Society from responsibility for any illnesses or
>injuries that may be caused by the ferret while under their care.  We make
>it clear to the fosters that our goal is to find permanent adoptive homes.
>Many of our members choose to adopt their fosters and if that's the case
>we go through the same adoption process as we would for any prospective
>adopter.  Our Society pays all of the medical and maintenance costs for
>fostered ferrets, although many of our members will freely provide food
>and litter we always make it clear that it is available at no cost.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Barb

I think Barb's comments here above really make a lot of good sense and
indicate that the Albertians are indeed forward thinkers.  I congradulate
her and them of the Alberta Ferret Society for their awareness and
sharpness of thought.  Maybe the Washington Ferret Ass'n could consider
similar self-protection measures before stumbling willy-nilly into a
potential minefield of troubles because not enough people really knew
beforehand what they were getting into.  It's food for thought and I hope
we learn before we're hurt.

And speaking of stumbling willy-nilly into a minefield of trouble, for
Tracy over in Spokane, let me please suggest that what you are doing, along
with the good-hearted people of the Washington Ferret Ass'n who drive over
to help you distribute some of these 49 or 50 ferrets given up by an
Oregoner  (Who is it, by the way?)  Man-o-man you might consider holding
off a little bit before you start distributing these 49 or so ferrets all
over the place.  I read that you have not proven that every one of these
ferrets are without disease, evident or otherwise, and that there is the
possibility that one or more of them could be infected with God knows what.
So, just let me suggest please, without a modicum of rancor or blame of any
kind, please, please consider restraining the willy-nilly distribution of
these many ferrets until and after they have all been thoroughly examined
by a ferret vet who will issue a health certificate for each and every one
of these ferrets.  I know that you'd be absolutely devestated and horribly
ashamed if you were the person responsible for disseminating disease
unintentionally.  You sure as hell don't need that any more than you need
a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.  Please take care and don't let
your enthusiasm and excitement of the hour occlude using your vision of
benefaction.

And on another tack, how in the world are you going to take adequate care
of Mr. Minke when you have all these Oregon ferrets to shelter?  I hope you
can get some educated help.  And for goodness sake, please be so very, very
careful with volunteer help around Mr. Minke.  You know, one bite and he
may have to be killed for a brain tissue sample, and/or you may be party
to a serious lawsuit if a shelter volunteer should die of rabies or some
other mink-bite inflicted disease.  Such an event could cause the local
authorities to take a long, serious look at what you got going on over
there and may attempt action against you that could be devastating, both
morally and financially.

Just call me ol' worrywart Lipinski, but I do really care, believe me.

Edward Lipinski,   Faber est quisque fortunae suae. [L.]  Every man is
the artificer of his own fortune.