From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 14:37:15 -0400
This is a very important note: When you are adopting ferrets, especially
if there has been sickness (or worse -- death) in the household DO be
aware that a communicable disease may be present.  Find out the details.
If the symptoms may indicate something fatal that contaminates an area
require a very careful vet check beforehand.  If you have ferrets who
have not been vaccinated be aware of the extreme risks involved if there
may be canine distemper in the ferrets and household.  If you have
ferrets who have not had ECE take that into account if the symptoms fit.
Read up beforehand on things like ADV as well.

Shelters know that they have to take these things into account but not
all private adopters do.

BTW, the SOS list of shelters can be gotten from the FML by sending the
command: SEND SHELTER LISTS to [log in to unmask], or at the SOS
website, or in the Reference Shelf in the Files section of the FHL.
Shelter people DO learn to take these concerns into account beforehand.

Don't know what things to watch out for or details?  The resources
below, this list, and http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ferrethealth
can help you.

Anonymous Mag, try also going to
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
and reading articles such as the one on IBD (strongly suggested for you
to read).  You may also want to go to http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/, and
the Critical Reference links at http://www.ferretcongress.org .

Melanie, Food intolerance or allergy (avoiding chicken) in some ferrets
with diarrhea: We had that problem with one who could not deal with any
poultry.  It turns out that Feline z/d has the proteins broken down
enough that many don't react to it.  There are also from-vets-only foods
like feline lamb and peas but we could not get that so I forget who made
it.  There is a ferret who has been discussed at the FHL (Check the
Archives above and I think that the ferret is also in the FML Archives at
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html .) who is unable to
deal with even the tiny risk of the Feline z/d and unable to deal with
numerous other foods.  The caregiver and vet went on a quest and finally
found a diet that would not be ideal for most ferrets but which saved
this ferret's life and has so far given years to the ferret.  The ferret
gets a canine type of z/d that is broken down even more thoroughly and
also gets ham baby food with supplementation.  It's all that they could
find that worked and they tried so many things that i got tired even
reading the extensive efforts to find something that worked (though it's
a truly great read and one of which to be aware).