From:
meghan karp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:54:32 -0400
Hello,
Yesterday, we rescued an older male who was up for adoption at a pet
store near our house.  Somebody apparently found him in a Miller Lite box
in the park while they were jogging.  The people at the store said that
he was extremely emaciated, and in pretty bad shape.  They nursed him
back to health, brought him to the vet, got him his vaccinations, and he
is now fat and happy.

The thing is, though, we don't know if he was ever with any other
ferrets, if he was caged his whole life, or anything about him really.
We figure he's a little older, maybe around 4 or 5, but we really don't
know.  We introduced him to the girls, Munch and Loca, and initially
things went well.  Loca is a fairly new addition, and she's still
somewhat of a baby, so she welcomed him right away.  Munch, however,
seems a little stressed out.  She wasn't extremely happy about Loca
coming home, but I think she viewed her as a little sister.  They
absolutely love each other now.  But I think because this new, fat, older
male came into the house, she doesn't quite know how to act.  There was
a little of a squabble yesterday, first between Loca and Rufus, than
between Rufus and Munch, but since then, nobody has fought.

I don't know if they were establishing a pecking order, or if he was
testing Munch to see what he could get away with, or what.  But my
question is this: What can I do to make this transition as easy on
everyone as possible?  This little boy desperately needs a loving home,
which we could and want to provide, but Munch is our 1st baby and I don't
want her to be miserable in her own home.  Do you think she will be ok?
How can I help her?  Thanks!!

Meghan, Munch, Loca, and Rufus