From:
Kim Vanderlaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 09:13:38 -0500
>From:    John Rich <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Skunks??
>
>Everything I`ve ever read about ferrets, included the Skunk as part of
>the 'family' that the ferret belonged to....????  What`s the truth??

Hi,

Skunks and ferrets used to be classified together as mustelids
(Family: Mustelidae).  The classifications of plants and animals is
constantly scrutinized and reconsidered and often changed.  This is
what happened with skunks.  Roughly 10 years ago, they were
reclassified into their own family, Mephitidae.

Check out:  <http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-234253> if you want
a slightly longer explanation.

Kim
Fuzzy Follies Ferret Rescue