From:
Kelleen Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 08:08:14 -0800
Hi Guys,

First I must introduce my new little girl named Pearl.  She is a 3 year
old tiny sable with a meanstreak that is unbelievable.  I had considered
adopting her when I got Tribble but the lady found her another home that
very same day.  Well 1 week later she was returned to ehr because she
kept biting their teenage kids.  I have come to the conclusion that they
thought she should play like a puppy or something because she hasn't
bitten me once over the last 3 days and is very sweet and loving to me.
My mom held her too and she just snuggled up in her arm.  I got the
distinct impression from her former owner if she didn't find her a home
she would have her put down and I couldn't have lived with that on my
conscience.  She HATED my fuzzies from day one and would viciously attack
them any chance she got.  I was considering also returning her until I
spoke further with her x-mommy and got the distinct impression that she
would have her put down.  So no way Jose I called back and said "I'm
keeping her no matter what!".  The lady did agree to pay for her next set
of shots since I have just solved ALL her problems.  Thank GOD for that
since I am in debt past my ears at this point.  My Mom didn't even throw
a big tizzy when she found out what the lady probably planned to do.
Well last nite Meetoo gave Pearl a good lesson in manners and kicked her
butt!!  Way to go Meetoo!  She didn't hurt her at all and I seperated
them after a bit but I knew that Pearl had to learn this lesson and soon.
She is much more conservative in her attacks so far so this is looking
good.  She got her first taste of bitter apple q-tips and boy did she
dislike that!  But that also seems to have helped get the message across.
I asked the lady that had her when I caled about returning her why she
was getting rid of her and she finally told me the truth that Pearl will
bite any visitors she ever has.  This ding dong has had Pearl for 3 years
and yet she has never managed to break the biting habit and I don't
understand why she kept her this long if this was the case.  Oh well, now
she is my newest and oldest daughter and she seems to be doing well.  She
has claimed the 2nd story of my 3 story cage as her own personal bedroom
and I keep her locked in unless I am right there to closely supervise.
David says I will now be known as the "Ferret Lady" of Boise!!!!  I LOVE
IT!!!  Just wish I had more money to make things easier.

I had a little visit with the manager of the Humane Society on Monday and
tho she tried to keep things lite I could tell she was absolutely fuming
underneath after I told her what had gone on with Tribble.  She called later
to say that a man named Brian was the original owner and he should be
calling me but so far nothing so I will cal her back today.  I don't think
that guy will be pulling anymore stunts like this in the future, I HOPE!

To Regina Harrison: The q-tip should at least be moist with bitter apple.
Not soaking tho.  I just spray a bit in the bottom of a small bottle and put
as many q-tips in as will fit.  Since they are tight together then they stay
moist for quite some time.

To Glen Pae: Big word of warning, Chocolate is POISONOUS to ferrets.  Mine
have managed to steal away bits before and are fine but they never got a lot
and now I keep all chocolate out of their reach ALWAYS!  I have heard some
terrible things about "Death by chocolate" in ferrets so please don't let
them have anymore.....  THANKS....

I have unfortunately found that one of our local Zamzows (the only place
around that carries ferrets constantly) is not taking proper care of their
ferrets for sale.  I have already complained to the main store and they got
right on the phone to check things out and said it would be taken care of
immediately...  That was monday and unfortunately again I dropped in the
store last nite and NOTHING has changed.  I will be making another personal
appearance at the main store today to speak to them once again and to ask
that the owner contact me.  They have new management at the bad store so I
am hoping that is the problem and that it will be cleared up very soon.
Otherwise I will make the biggest stink they have ever smelled until it is
corrected!!!  So wish me luck all!

*          Kelleen & The INSANE Animal House        *
*          President & Founder of                   *

*F.A.N.G. - Ferret Association of Neverending Glee  *
*Location : Boise, Idaho                            *
*I'll take a good animal over a good mate anyday,   *
*all THEY want is lots of love and great chow!!!!   *

[Moderator's note: I can never hold my tounge when the subject of chocolate
toxicity comes up - it's kinda a pet peeve of mine, if you excuse the pun.
There is *no* evidence that I know of that chocolate is poisonous to
ferrets.  Lots of anecdotal evidence as well the opinion of many vets say
chocolate is OK in small quantities.  Just because it is toxic to dogs in
high doses doesn't mean it's toxic in ferrets... sorry for the long note,
but it just hits a nerve with me or something... BIG]