From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 14:52:17 -0400
This post is long but I can see a few sides here and a possible solution.
I hate to see people selling their unwanted ferrets.  I think it's good
that they are looking on the fml for a ferret knowledgeable and loving
home.  However, I don't think someone who is willing to give a ferret a
good second home should have to pay the person who wants to give it up.
If the original owner wants to get rid of the pet and the responsibility,
then their entire objective should just be to find a good home for the
pet.  The cost they paid in getting the ferret and supplies are an
expense that they alone should be responsible for.  It was their mistake,
they should be financially responsible for it.  It is this cost that will
hopefully help teach the person getting rid of the ferret a bit about
responsibility.  Maybe they'll think a bit more of all the
responsibilites before getting another pet.

I'm worried that uncaring people would rather dump or simply neglect an
unwanted ferret before continuing to pay for another to care it.  That is
the worse case scenerio, in which it's the ferret that pays the price!

There is also the advice that pets shouldn't be given free.  Hoarders,
lab uses, another irresponsible home, etc...... are some of the reasons
many people advise not to advertise free pets.

Possible compromise:
If a ferret is unwanted please find the best home for it.  Negotiate a
fair price with the new owners.  Have that price be paid to an animal
shelter of the new owner's choosing.  This way the ferret is being
responsibly paid for, but the money is going to help others caring for
animals rather than to the pockets of the person getting rid of the pet.
Maybe this will also help offset some of the costs for people who don't
find homes and dump their pets at shelters.

Of couse if the old owner is willing to financially support the ferret
he/she brings to a shelter than dooks to them!

Risa