From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 20:35:11 -0700
Dear Friends of Ferret Shelters,

This is long, work with me, hear me out, ok?

These are just the toughest of times for shelters, financially and with
unheard of daily surrender requests. Folks' homes being foreclosed on,
and having to move into the inlaws basement, and ya know those inlaws
aren't happy, try and throw in some ferrets, and, well, those that have
loved their ferrets for years are faced with giving them up. Same story
for those that have lost their jobs! And we all know one thing about
ferret lovers, THEY DON'T HAVE JUST ONE!!!

Realize, that we are now dealing with good kind people, that are
sobbing as they hand over their 4 - 10 yr old ferrets to us, sobbing!!!
We are actually now dealing with those that have become homeless or
living out of their cars. It's just not your typical preggers, or the
kid won't take care of it, and get rid of the ferret story. Those folks
stress, their lifetime of loved ferrets, come to us bewildered and
stressed. The care of these older stressed ferrets is exorbitant!

I've never experienced this volume of personal, excruciatingly heart
wrenching, surrenders, ever in my 15 yrs of sheltering. We are 30 over
capacity, with at least another 30 non-emergencies on a wait list to
come into the shelter. Yep, life holds changes, but we didn't see this
coming!

I hope you can come this Sat, Oct 24th to our fundraiser, OKTOBERFEST!
It's a rain or shine event, and we are under a covered pavillion!

For Details an location:
http://rockysferrets.com/events/of/oktoberfest.html

Now, if you can't come, we would be so grateful for your support!!!!
We sure would appreciate it, and I'm thanking you in advance.

We have two raffles going on right now.

OFEST RAFFLES - ending Sat 10-24 11a:
http://www.rfrsoktoberfest.com/

FRIENDS OF FERRET SHELTERS RAFFLE - ending Fri 10-23 9p:
http://www.shelterfriends.blogspot.com/

Good, you're with me this far. I said this was long, hang with me......
I have much more to say, yep, I wear my heart on my sleeve, and
especially so, where ferrets and shelters in peril are a paramount
concern.

Yes, Rocky's is in the final stretch of our fundraisers that we hope
keeps us going until Spring, but I want to ask something of each of you
all...........PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHELTERS! Visit them, give them
your time, take a huge pack of paper towels, a bag of litter or food,
and even $5 bucks helps. It really does!

How about adoption and foster?..or even sponsoring a ferret! Please
think about making room for one more. If you've never experienced
caring for an older ferret, trust me, it will be great reward. So many
of these ferrets we're getting are use to being loved and cherish, keep
that chain of love going to the end!

Shelters are closing all over the US in huge numbers because they are
overwhelmed physically, financially and emotionally. Do not let your
local shelter be one of those closing statistics. All of us are
struggling! You have no idea how much your time, kindness and
generosity will not only be appreciated, but will breathe new life
into the body and soul of a very tired shelter or sanctuary operator.
Step that up, and take her/him out to lunch, or bring it!

We all appreciate your help during this crisis, and beyond. From the
bottom of my heart, thank you for helping me keep my Rocky's doors
open. This shelter means the world to me. I'm scared and worried, for
me, for all shelters!

Affectionately,
Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs for Rocky's