From:
Tracy Tunnison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 10:39:33 -0500
>Whole Males MUST be kept seperate from ALL other ferrets when in season.
>They will shred any other ferret in the cage with them.  Male, female it
>doesn't matter ....

I have to disagree with this and know many breeders who would.  My hobs are
lovable to people all year round, in season or not.  Also, a male in season
will fight with another hob, but will just try to mount a jill, sprite or
gib.  Of course if the other puts up a fight, they may get a little rough.

>jab vs vasectomised male
>I don't understand this question  Do you mean Gib vs. Vasectimized male?

I think they meant a hormone shot vs vascetomized hob. I personally prefer
the dud stud as being more natural.  There can be side effects from the
shot.  Of course if the dud stud doesn't do his job, then the shot is the
next thing to try, but be prepared.

>- care of pregnant females
>  eg nutrition, housing, gestation period
>
>42 days, best to be seperated from others

It's best to separate the jill from the hob after about 48 hours.  That way
you can watch the jill to be sure she goes out of season within a week.
Also, ferrets are stimulated ovulators like cats and can get pregnant more
than once, therefore, if left in longer you may have two times of conception
for the babies and when the ones first conceived are born, the younger ones
come out too.  This can cause many problems such as underdeveloped kits that
are just not healthy enough to make it.  It can be heartbreaking to watch
the *runts* die because their lungs, heart, etc are not developed enough to
sustain life.

>It is very stressful on a hob to be left whole and not bred season after
>season.  Trust me on this one.  You don't want to breed the same animals
>over and over with each other, either.

New one on me.  My hobs of course would *love* to be getting some when they
are in season, but seem fine when playing with me whether they are being
bred that year or not.  Also, why wouldn't you want to breed the same two
together time after time?  When you get good, healthy, sweet babies, sounds
like a winning combination to me.  Don't mess with success.  Bill Killian,
any comments on this?

Have a fuzzy day all!

Tracy Tunnison and her fuzzable lovies!
Mid-Michigan Ferrets and Rescue