From:
Brandon Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 07:40:17 PDT
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Subject: RE: Ferret Whisperer

Ceclia,
I've only had ferrets for about a year and a half.  I have three now.  I've
never before been an "animal" person, so I was somewhat frustrated at first
with my inefficient means of communicating with my babies.  However, after
I observe them playing together and their actions, I try my best to mimic
those behaviors when playing with them.  For instance when I want to get
the "riled" up I will "attack" them from behind and very lightly pinch
their backs lower on their body.  I also have used the laying on the floor
submissive position, to let them know I've had enough.

When they are doing a war dance or flopping around in excitiment doing
sommersaults waving limbs wildly, I'll try that too.  They seem to
understanding I'm "dancing" with them.  Though I have to be careful
because I'm 6'6" and have long arms!

When they are being bad I will actually scruff them with my mouth, everybody
usually thinks this is gross, but they seem to respond to this like I'm
their GIGANTUAN mommy ferret.

In short I do my best to mimic their behaviour as a form of communication.
I cannot say for sure it works, but my ferrets at least get a laugh out of
me making a fool of myself!

Oh well.

Good luck,
Brandon