From:
Julie M Guardino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:15:06 -0600
Hi,
I'm new to the list and wanted to say hello to everyone.  I have two little
fuzzbutts, Munchkin, tiny female and Mickey, larger very sweet male.  They
are a true joy to me.  I have owned ferrets for about 4 years now.  My first
ferret came to me as an older ferret, approx. 6-7 years old.  Within one
year he developed symptoms of insulomina.  Because of his age and generally
weakened condition, the vet and I agreed upon a treatment of prednasone and
general support care.  I think the whipping cream may make his symptoms
worse because of the sweetness of it could cause a peak in blood sugar and
also the dairy product isn't good for ferrets anyway.  What I did was put
the crushed up pill into either canned chicken gerbers baby food or into the
nutracal.  He loved both and I was able to keep his weight up for a long
period of time (7 months) eating only the baby food and the nutracal.  He
was a very pickey eater to begin with.  His usual food was only eaten when
he was really feeling well.  He stayed fairly healthy for the entire 7
months with only an occasional "spell".  Then he went downhill extremely
fast and died.  All in all I was very glad I proceded with medicine and
support care and not surgery.  I hope yours gets feeling better, there is
nothing worse than losing that special little friend.  I've lost 3 older
ones in the last year and a half.  The two I have now are young and are very
healthy and I hope they stay that way for a long time.  Good luck to all and
God bless you and all of the little fuzzies!

Julie