Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 02:07:42 -0700
July 13th around 9pm saw an increase to my family by one small forlorn
ferret. Three weeks earlier a visit to a car parts store and subsequent
conversation with a clerk revealed they had had two ferrets, but both
got into "something" under the sink and poisoning killed the male
ferret, but an "exotic" vet was able to pull the female through.
However since the ferret was no longer "normal" the kids lost interest
in it so they were considering finding it another home. before I could
stop myself, I blurted out if they were serious about offering the
ferret a good home, I could take her in and offered them my number.

Late on a Sunday night I got the call and a tiny voice inside made me
encourage them to meet me that night with the ferret. She turned out
to be rather skinny, had matted fur (which they stated, "Thought we
got all the mats out when we bathed her").MOre conversation with them
revealed she had been housed in a rabbit cage WITH the rabbit!

Those who know rabbits can attest that they are not always the gentle
sweet critters so often pictured. Rabbits can be quite territorial and
have formidable weaponry. I'm fairly certain the rabbit could recognize
the predatory nature of the ferret even if the ferret didn't. A healthy
rabbit has no compunctions about asserting its dominance. Watching how
this ferret reacts when others approach it solidifies my thoughts on
what life was like for the poor thing inside the rabbits cage!

Her hind quarters were bony with practically non existent musculature.
Attempts to stand and walk were met with a hind end that flopped over
constantly. Feeling her hind legs my fingers were seperated by mere
folds of skin!

Even after the recent bath, she still had active fleas, flea dirt,
filthy ears, long claws and matted fur, not to mention an odor.

She had been fed the Walmart brand of 8 in one so called "Premium"
ferret food - or cat food - whichever they had and admitted was the
cheapest. The small bin of ferret supplies they proferred contained
three bags of peanut butter bandits, two bottles of ferretvite, a
couple harnesses ( one red, one blue) numerous bottles of ferret flea
shampoo, coat softeners and deoderizers and a bottle of dry cat treats.

The deposits she left that night looked like she'd been eating the
bandit treats as her most recent meals.

Needless to say, caught unawares like that, I had no kibble in the
house - having fed the last of it to my mouse colony long ago. I
offered her fresh water from a crock which she drank and drank and
drank! I put some pieces of raw on a saucer, not surprisingly it went
untouched until I returned the following night with some kibble.

SAY WHAT? Kim bought KIBBLE?!

yes, I'm not an idiot - a three year old ferret who has only known
kibbled food (if you can classify the cardboard crud boxed and sold at
walmart as actual food) - and in an obvious state of starvation needs
some familiarity to encourage a change!

Iwas going to get a bag of Totally Ferret Baby formula and their
turkey/venison/lamb, which was what I'd fed to others during
transitioning; but in the cat food aisle I spied a NON -grain product
called "Wellness CORE" advertising actual meat sources with 50%
protein and 18% fat. A bit low on the fat scale for ferrets, but I
can compensate for that by adding plain lard. The label also claimed
to offer live probiotics.

So I bought that instead of the TF products - because the TF still
utilizes corn and grains which I oppose feeding; and I stay away from
products using raisin juice and grape seed oil - raisins are known to
be toxic to ferrets and since raisins derive from grapes - I don't want
to chance that link. Evo is only available from one store inmy area,
and that is across town so wouldn't be able to get there until a
weekend.

Not surprisingly the kibble had that familiar yucky odor when opening
the bag. I moistened the kibble with warm water because her teeth
showed evidence of gum disease.

Over the course of the next few meals I started adding increasing
amounts of minced pieces or raw cornish hen, turkey heart and lard.
This link shows her amazing transformation in mere days!

<http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/Vanityferret/Liza/?action=view&current=Liza5days.jpg>

Now just over 14 days later she has completely ignored the kibble and
chooses to eat the raw! She can now chew the meat from the bones of
the Cornish Game hen wings and is experimentally chewing the wing tips.
I've acquired cuttlefish bone to pulverize and add to the raw pieces
to offer her system more calcium since her gums are not quite healthy
enough yet to endure actual bone scraping.

She goes on nightly jaunts and her hind quarters are considerably
stronger, the muscles are reviving, although miniscule when compared to
my other ferrets meaty haunches, hers are nevertheless gaining in size
and strength.

Her transformation in such a short time is nothing short of amazing! I
was concerned that the posioning had irreversibly impaired her systems
and that all I could offer would be "hospice"- but it seems she is
definitely rehabbing!

She enjoys her daily brushings, and her tiny legs start churning as
soon as we step outside. She came to me a forlorn, dull, ferret just
waiting for the inevitable, and is developing into a glowing, lively,
happy ferret. I've already had to trim her nails twice and she has
doubled in size. She stands easily now, can walk, trot, run and even
war dance without flopping over! Last night I had to put a harness and
leash on her for her outdoor romp because I can't keep up with her
anymore!

Unfortunately three of my crew go after her rather violently, so they
get closed up for a few hours so I can allow her time to roam. Two of
my crew are mildly curious of her, but not aggressive, so she is
learning slowly how to be a ferret.

I have re-christened her "Mimzy" sort of influenced by the kid's movie
"The Last Mimzy" because she is such a gentle sweet ferret that has
travelled to a new world. She is a hooded sable, likes to cuddle, gives
kisses and is learning how to play!

But now I've got practically a full bag of kibble again - that I guess
I'll feed to the mice because Mimzy already prefers the natural diet!

Cheers,
Kim