From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 1995 07:32:14 -0500
Linda:

Ok, too strong (pardon the pun) a comparison??!!  First of all, *of course*
my hob stinks when he's in season - that's the point I was trying to make.
So many people think descenting is the controlling factor on that, when it
really is neutering.  And I would never want or suggest anyone give their
ferret away because he was stinky ferret!  And I did say it was my own
personal opinion and I was prepared for the possibiity of this reaction.

HOWEVER, I still feel the ferret who blows bombs (let's clarify that - they
don't really spray - certainly not in the manner that skunks do) on a
regular basis is more the exception than the rule, and descenting is not
a procedure one would necessarily consider normal/routine as you would
neutering.  I have had several ferrets descented and worked at an animal
hosp where I saw ferrets descented, and recovery is harder for the older
ferret - and by older I mean 6 months.  Even MF does not recommend
descenting older ferrets.

Again, I'm not talking about the exception to the rule - if you've got
a ferret blowing bombs 3 or 4 or 6 times a day every day.....well, that
can be too much.  But if a ferret blows a bomb once a month or once every
couple of weeks because he got po'd at something, *in my opinion* that's
not reason enough to put a ferret through that procedure.  Infections don't
count in this discussion - that's a medical necessity and is a given as far
as I'm concerned.  I'm not slaming you Linda for what you did.....you had
a problem ferret, and in your situation I would have done the same thing,
but some of the ferrets I had descented, would NOT have been problem ferrets
and I put them through it for nothing.  That's my point.  It's not something
that HAS to be done, and I can easily consider it a form of mutilation when
done without just cause.

......right up there with ear cropping......

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA

(BIG: I have nothing more to say or add to this issue.  Hope this isn't too
long but I wanted to get all points covered.  I am willing to continue this
privately if anyone feels a need to, though)