From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 09:13:07 -0400
>From:    corey shuster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Allergies
>I need some help.  I seem to be allergic to our ferrets.  It only seems to
>happen at the end of summer and lasts 2 months.  Symptoms include itchy
>throat and ears, coughing and runny nose.  The ferrets live in our room and
>are fixed.  I have another pair for breeding in the yard which are obviously
>not fixed and the allergy seems to be stronger with them....

Corey, in reading your post it sounds indeed like you have allergies-- but I
am not sure that it is to the ferrets inside.  The circumstances that it is
only for a short period of time during the summer leads me to believe that
you have a sensitivity to something in the environment.  Is it possible
during this time that there is a pollen in the air????

The unaltered ferret kept outside may also cause some allergies symptoms IF
your immune system is sensitive.  We have gone through periods of low
tolerence to the musk in the oils of the coat from time to time.  However
since we have moved to another location now-- we have no sensitivities to
unaltered ferrets -- this again points that perhaps WE had an environmental
problem which was irritated by the ferrets?

Before you put the blame on your ferrets do a bit of research.  Check with
the doctors and find out what seasonal irritants could be affecting you--
they will have a medication for that...!

Good luck in ferreting out the culprit,
Alicia
a shelter Mom