From:
Karen O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:11:49 EDT
Thursday, September 11th, my handsome DEW, Milo, slept all day and did
not eat anything.  He was very lethargic, not eating, and had lost
weight.  Friday at 8:05 am I called Northwoods Animal Hospital.  The
receptionist told me that Dr. Dan Hudson wasn't in, Dr. Melissa Hudson
was booked up, and Dr. Albert was off for the day.  I told her that
somebody needed to see him because he might have a blockage.  She
referred me to Dr. Dan Johnson/Avian & Exotic Animal Care in N. Raleigh
and gave me his number.

I called Avian & Exotic immediately.  The receptionist talked to the
doctors and said that they would work Milo in.  I got to their office at
9:00 am.  They asked if I could leave him and they would call me when
they had examined him.  Dr. Christine Eckerman-Ross called at 11:30am.

She said that "Milo's blood glucose was 45 and he was a little dehydrated
which indicates insulinoma, and that he could be put on Prednisone, have
a partial pancreatectomy, or chemo."  I told her to go with the Prednisone
for now.

I was not asked about giving him fluids, therefore I could not have
declined them as stated on my receipt/medical form.  I thought that if he
needed fluids they would give him some.  Milo was not given Prednisone
until I got there to pick him up at 1:00 pm.  Milo was prescribed .4 cc
of Prednisone twice daily [this amount seems high to me], feed him duck
soup, and another bg check in two weeks.

I took him home but he did not improve; in fact, his condition got worse
through the night.  There was something very wrong with my baby, more
than just insulinoma.  Milo was suffering very badly and the only help I
could get for him had done nothing to ease his pain.  By Saturday morning
at 7am, Milo was almost lifeless.

Dr. Dan Hudson was reached at home and stated he was going to be in the
clinic and to bring Milo ASAP.  If Dr. Eckerman-Ross/Avian & Exotic had
taken an x-ray, she would have seen what was wrong with him.  He did
indeed have a blockage - from Lymphosarcoma.  To find out, after an exam
by his regular doctor (Dr. Hudson), that Milo's suffering could have been
avoided is deplorable on Dr. Eckerman-Ross' part.  An animal suffering
when it could have been prevented is unforgiveable.

Milo was helped to Rainbow Bridge that morning, as Dr. Hudson said he
could relieve his pain and suffering only a few hours.  I miss my big ol'
white boy so much.  Do you know the song, "Dirty White Boy?" I sang that
to Milo, only it was He's My Big Ol' White Boy, or He's My Stinky White
Boy.  Of course, he would look at me like he was thinking, "Whoa, Dude;
this lady is really trippin!"  Milo was the sweetest and biggest ferret
that I have ever known.  It was really a sight to see a ferret his size
do the ferret dance!  I only had him a short time but he will always hold
the biggest piece of my heart.

Karen O'Neal