Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2009 03:17:36 -0400
Dexamethasone is an alternative to Prednisolone in treating insulinoma.
It's stronger and requires a smaller dose, and does not need
refrigeration.

What we do with Prednisolone is to sneak it into their soup. I first
heat the soup in the microwave, then, right before they eat it, I mix
in the measured dose of Prednisolone. We currently have two on it, and
they have no idea it's in the soup. You just have to be careful that
none of the non-Pred ferrets sneak over and eat soup out of the bowls
with the meds. All 6 of ours have their own bowl at meal time.

Also, I've found it to be more effective to give Prednisolone 3 times
daily, every 8 hours, rather than twice daily, every 12 hours. It
keeps a more steady stream of the medicine in their system. And it is
important to give it with food to avoid possible ulceration of the
stomach.

Jeff
In Memory of Neo and Mr. Parker
Caring for Trinny, Morphy, Baby Girl, Luna, Dozer, and Possum