From:
Lise O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:20:51 -0700
Well, other than being sick, I had a great weekend.  I went to the mall to
find something to wear to an upcoming wedding and just had to stop in the
local pet store (Family Pets).  Yep, the same store that won't give me the
time of day, even though I did get my fifth kid from them.

Anyway, met a nice guy and his young daughter who just bought a buddy
for their first ferret.  I gave him the address to the fml, so I hope
he joins us.

A bunch of teenagers were crowding around the ferret cage (cleaner than
usual, but still not clean enough) talking about how they would like a
ferret.  So, what did I do?  (Me thinks this may be one reason Family Pets
doesn't like me.  hee.hee.), I told the kids ferrets are wonderful pets buy
they are a lot of work.  I told them to think about a two year old who gets
into everything and wants to play.  Then I told them about food, etc, etc.
From the faces of a couple of the teens, I think they were having second
thoughts.  Good.  It's better to prevent an impulse buy then to add to
shelter over crowding and abused animals.

University Pets is the only pet store in the area that I know of that
doesn't have ferrets on a regular basis.  They told me they get theirs
from local breeders, but when I inquired as to who the breeders were they
wouldn't tell me.  They stated the breeders didn't wished to be bothered by
inquisitive folk ("folk"!  I guess I have been living in the south a bit too
long!).  I was told they dealt with only quality animals; look around and
see the quality of their dogs, birds, and rodents (I am rather clueless
when it comes to birds and gerbils).  Is this normal pet store behavior?

Tatoos: I mentioned this to someone in a direct post, but I will post it
here as well.  My local shelter lady told me that MF has added new blood to
it's line (English blood).  These "new" ferrets will have a tatoo inbetween
their toes as well as the three in their ears.

Gotta go back to work.  Some day I will catch up with my reading of the
fml's

Lise and the six lunatics (including Sully who is pracitising his long
jump for the next Olympics)