Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 08:45:30 -0800
Sharon Dowell wrote:

>I was browsing on ebay this evening under Ferret Supplies - Newly listed
>items, and I came across item no. 1699054036 - Ferret Women Fur 3/4 Coat
>w/Fur Collar.

I think you had performed a generic search for 'ferret' and the coat came
up in that search, mixed in with ferret supplies.

The category the coat is actually listed under, is as follows:

Clothing & Accessories:Women:Misses:Outerwear:Coats:Fur

As much as a ferret fur based coat may be offensive to us, fur coats are
very acceptable as eBay items, and do not come under the heading of:
"item porting violence or victims of violence and lacks substantial sound,
artistic or potential value .... " THAT is all in *our* individual minds,
not in the legal definition of 'portraying violence...' etc.

I bring this up to make a point.  If we, as a ferret community, are to
make any headway in gaining the acceptance of our little companions,
worldwide, we must choose our battles carefully.  To attack, even in the
mildest manner, something that is legitimate, such as this auction on
eBay, only makes us look 'fanatical' and immediately puts us in a
'crack-pot to be ignored' category and makes ALL ferret enthusiasts
suspect.

We need to bite our tongues and concentrate on major issues, like we did
with rabies vaccination acceptance, and now, the legalization of ferrets
in California.  Jeanne Carley and all her supporters, need our help in
EVERY way, even if all we can contribute is a bitten tongue.

For Our Ferrets

MC, The Rude One
(With Snorkle, Tuzigoot, Bancho, and Artemus.  In spirit, Bubba,
Billy-Bob, and Garret)