From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 11:16:55 -0400
Thanks, Leigh!  Leigh, who is geneticist, wrote a splendid piece on
Waardenburg syndrome yesterday.  Among her comments:

>I think it's the same gene that contributes to both the deafness and the
>coloration patterns.  The fact that it is a gene that is active during
>development explains the wide effect it has on the organism...

>...Waardenburg Syndrome does seem to be related to other health problems
>such as intestinal problems, other sensory problems and some neural
>problems...

I only recall the basics of genetics, unfortunately, but found it one of
the most interesting things I studied at the time; fortunately, manage to
not forget that foundation with some continuing reading.

It's good to know that I was not wrong about the basics in what I recalled
from reading on Waardenburg in the past -- at least in relation to the
patterns and the deafness being caused by the same gene.  Thank you, also,
for the information on further things that can be affected and potentially
have more dangerous impacts on the ferrets.  I have heard form yet more
people and no one seems to have had to date any Waardenburg ferret which
has reached age 7, let alone 8.  Seems early in the 6th year is the best
they have mentioned to me.

Thank you, also, for the http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
address.  WOW!  521 articles on it!  Guess no one can claim to not have
reputable data handy.  Hope to read some of those later.  May be some
clues for our guys....

Wouldn't it be something if a chunk of the susceptibility problems U.S.
ferrets in general have with certain illnesses and earlier deaths than
anyone would like is related to all that breeding of fancies?  If (repeat --
IF) so, that would be hard on some breeders in terms of having to neuter
some for health reasons (though I think enough care FIRST about ferret
health), and it may be that some show groups might get defensive, but it
would give a direction to go for getting healthier ferrets and that is
ultimately what is important.  If ( again -- IF) this turns out to be the
case then standard markings from genetic lines of standards might be a
fast way to have healthier ferrets.  Then again, this might not make a
difference in ferrets, but the info cropping up is very interesting!

It would be interesting to eventually know what genes contribute to the
color depletion ferrets.  I've read of medical problems with some lines,
but have also had ones of other lines who lived long and robust lives.
Of course, knowing that might have to eventually amount to many years of
work.  Right now there just is nothing out there on ferret genetics which
is reputable, though there are certain amateur stabs at it.  That's
something for later decades...