Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:55:53 -0500
Hello Scott,
You have a valid point with regards to the latest and greatest Petco
posts.  BUT This chain is not an illusion not to this sector of the ferret
community.  You may remember several months ago an incident we endured re:
Petco & ferrets, -- or perhaps it was not on this list.  A NH Petco store
was holding ferret kits ( from Triple F farms) in a plastic shipping tub in
the back room.... FOR 16 WEEKS--!!!!  Why?, because they were nippy, and
un socialized.  For 16 weeks ferrets were stockpiled in a small plastic
shipping tub with a wire screen on the top... they were hungry and sick the
bedding underneath them was urine soaked, The food was tossed in some in
the bowl, some in the wet litter, the water bottles were empty because no
one dared reach in... ,, one ferret had died before we got there-- and
shortly after we got there (we separated a sick ferret out to the remaining
group) we The SHELTER were told we would have to wait for corporate to
release them to our care...

To make a long story short-- we called state offices-- they showed up and
the ferrets were removed from the premises and taken to a vet ( out of
state).  Yes, -- Petco in my estimation has a long way to go with
ferrets.... A VERY long way to go.  We were assured in the corporate jargon
and tactical fashion that they would make sure NON of the PETCO stores used
that distributor again-- DO I BELIEVE THAT???

Silly question isn't it.  The ferrets were not allowed to come here ( to
this shelter)-- because we made an unfortunate situation for the store....
DO I CARE?  another silly question-- I DO care those particular ferrets got
to the vet!!!

Yes,, run to the local authorities with the reports , if the local
authorities do not want to hear you then go to the ( particular) states'
director of agriculture & marketing-- that is the one who is responsible!!!
Be aware you will need to submit a written report with dates, times,
contact names ( store personnel) etc.  Every thing should be documented...

Only then can we begin to change the way ferrets are dealt with by
corporate merchandisers!

To Petco, PLEASE write those letters today.... urge them to halt sales of
ferrets in their stores.

ALicia
for the ferrets!