Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 06:42:23 -0400
Thank you so much to those who responded about my research on hearing
in ferrets. I have tried to answer individually, but think I have lost
some names. if you did not get a note from me explaining the procedure,
please email me again at [log in to unmask] Thank you.

To explain what will go on with the ferrets, I am sharing a little more
info below. To put all of you at ease, please know that I have been
doing this SAME procedure with humans - including preemie babies - for
nearly 30 years.

The test consists of having three small needle electrodes similar to
accupuncture needles placed under the skin on the head. It is not even
as big as the needles used to give a vaccination. An earphone will
deliver a sound to the ferret's ear. The sound will vary in loudness,
but is not going to harm the ferret's hearing sensitivity. What it will
tell us is how (s)he hears specific sounds. The entire procedure takes
about an hour.

I prefer that the ferrets be in a natural sleep. With parents, I
encourage them to sleep-deprive their babies and have them exhausted
from play when they arrive. it makes everything go faster. If
absolutely necessary, and you approve, a veterinarian will sedate
the ferret for the test.

Right now I want healthy young ferrets between 6 months and 4 years.
I will probably be looking at color patterns, too, and will want to
have them come in. So, if your ferret has markings, like a bib or a
white stripe down his/her head, I would like to test them, too.

The testing will take place primarily during July and August - after
the sympopsium. I will write the thesis in the fall and submit for
publication probably next spring, after the analysis. Once more, I
am at the University of Connecticut in northeat CT. Thank you again
to those who responded and those who will!

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the