From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 08:09:00 EDT
Jim (my husband) takes Stupid Pebbles with him to the dry cleaner every
week.  He empties out the laundry on the counter, then throws the empty
plastic bag on the floor for her to play in.  The guy at the cleaners loves
her!  She also has a friend at the local mini-mart where Jim tucks her into
his jacket.  She pokes her head out the space between the buttons, and the
store owners think she is a riot.

She gets taken out quite often.  Jim is on the board of directors for
Habitat for Humanity, and he brings her along to many of their outdoor
fundraisers like softball games and walkathons.

Of course if it is very hot or cold, she doesn't go.  She is always in her
harness and leash, with food and water offered at regular intervals.
(Pebbles says "who needs food- the people are always giving me treats!  I
got a nibble of bagel with cream cheese last week!") I think it is a great
idea to take your ferrets out in public if they are people oriented, don't
get stressed, up to date on their vaccinations, including rabies, and
generally healthy.  When people see them as friendly little pets, often
their minds are changed about them very quickly.  Also, that way if they
later have one in their yard, they will know what it is and not try to kill
it or run it off.

-Anne