From:
"Woodward, Ross" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 12:05:00 +1000
On Sunday, 10/5/98 I was sitting on the floor, playing with my Ferrets, and
I leant back against a door, and it opened.  Without thinking I reached over
and started pulling it shut.  I felt slight resistance and then Tristan, a
18 month old PEW female screamed, and ran under their cage from behind me.
She was apparently examining the hinge area of the door and had her face
crushed when the door was being closed.  When she refused to come out for
her squeaky toy, we found that she was in shock, and had some blood around
her mouth and nose.  We then took her to a Emergency Vet, who examined her
and said she might have a broken jaw, and to give her soft food and take her
to our normal vet for x-rays if she was having trouble eating.

On Monday afternoon we took her to our normal vet, who kept her overnight
and on Tuesday she was x-rayed and found to have a fracture on her lower
jaw, and another between her front lower teeth.  The vet put wires to hold
these together.  We have been feeding her mince, mixed with warm water and
also her normal IAMS kitten food, also mushed up with water.  Any other
suggestions on what to feed her?

So far, she has slept most of the time, and when she is awake she is looking
and feeling very sorry for herself.  The other 4 ferrets know something is
not right.  Any idea if her personality will change, as we have had her
since she was about 7 weeks old (she was our first) and she is a absolute
sweety.

Ross