Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 03:42:49 -0500
Yup, it is a big deal! And, I have to say that I am amazed at how
creatively it can happen. While reading the hullabaloo about how some
of the people on the giving tree felt slighted by not receiving a thank
you and not knowing that the gift(s) had arrived, I was struck by two
things about myself.

1. Duh, I was doing it as a secret Santa, so nobody needed to know who
sent it.

2. If I wanted to know the gift arrived, I could get delivery
confirmation for less than a dollar! (And, if I sent the items through
one of the online stores, I could still find out if it arrived through
them!) If the item did not get delivered, THEN I could reveal myself
and let the shelter know there was a problem.

My life just got easier! What I just CAN'T imagine is people who take a
name and then don't follow through. Now, we ALL know that I
procrastinate. Having grown up with Star Trek and having experienced
ferrets do it, I am convinced that time can be transcended by the
immediate dematerialization of objects - and living beings - from one
instant to the next. In other words, if it is due in Texas by 4:00, I
should be able to stand in Canada at 3:55 and still get it there in
time. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, this is also the
basis of Bob Church time.

Although it appears that I digress, this actually brings me to the
point. My Thanksgiving cards to shelters did NOT go out in time for
Thanksgiving. Oh, I had such GRAND ideas - I will make biscotti and put
in a few tea bags and send them a nice little break in a bag. As
Thanksgiving approached, and then passed, it became obvious that was
not happening. Oh, I had the cards and the tea bags. I even had treats
for the ferrets. What I did not have was time.

Then, I thought, okay I'll do (something else - I forget what!). Didn't
happen. Time passed. In the end, I wrote an apologetic little poem
about my good intentions, enclosed a tea bag or two and a small
donation to each shelter. (I decided to take them at their word that
EVERY dollar helps.) And, it was now early December and my Christmas
card exchange list needed attention. And, someone else was owed
biscotti!

As I procrastinate with my mailings, I also don't get to the PO more
than once a week, sometimes every 2 - 4 weeks. So, it was nice to pick
up so many Christmas cards on Dec. 21 before leaving for Christmas.
And, it was after January 2 before I returned. Can you imagine my
delight and surprise when I picked up my mail to find that I had
received Christmas cards, thank you notes, acknowledgements of the
donation and even a certificate of appreciation for my little
contribution. From these busy shelter moms.

You know who you are. And, I want you - and everyone else - to know
just how special you are. I also want to say that I did not go back
to check to see if everyone did this or *who* didn't. I did not expect
it, because I realized from all the recent discussion that my motive
is not to GET anything in return - I am overrun by STUFF - but that
the pleasure was in the giving and in knowing it would be put to good
use. So, as Andrae Crouch said (in a song) many years ago, shelter moms
and dads, this is from me and from your ferrets: "How can I say thanks
for the things you have done for me? Things so undeserved, yet you
give to prove your love for me. The voices of a million angels could
not express my gratitude."

Thank you. (And, if you get a Christmas card from me this month, please
consider me early for 2007 instead of late for 2006!)

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the