From:
Nancy Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 13:49:19 -0400
I swore I wouldn't get involved in this topic...

I think this is being blown out of proportion.  First off, to everyone
giving graphic descriptions of declawing ferrets, well you're preaching to
the converted.  I doubt anyone on this list would ever consider declawing.
And, we all agree that anyone who would do it isn't the greatest owner in
the world.

However, consider that, as a general rule, we are among the elite of
caregivers.  Vets have to deal with the full spectrum.  Personally, I would
rather a good vet educate the client, but declaw the ferret if the client
insists in order to ensure that this ferret will stay with a good vet and
get proper care throughout his/her life.

As for saying these people (probably) shouldn't be allowed to own pets.
There I agree, too.  However, having just this week tried to avoid giving a
dog I found (sitting in the middle of the road) back to his historically
very negligent owners, I know that in the USA this is completely and totally
unenforceable.  I was told by the SPCA that given enough complaints we could
eventually seize that dog, but not their other two dogs (or their multiple
cats).  Nor could we keep them from getting more pets.  This is an owner who
lets the dog run even after numerous warnings from official sources (police,
etc...), goes away on vacation leaving their dog tied to a stake in the
yard, etc... I really envy countries where their SPCAs actually can enforce,
well, anything.  Here we can slap the occasional fine on a bad owner, but
nothing really comes of it to help the animals.

Purely and simply, we don't live in a perfect world.  Vets have to do the
best with what they've got.  In the USA (which is the majority of the
membership - not to exclude others, sorry) we have a society which accepts
mutilation without question.  Not only of animals (declawing, ear and tail
docking) but of humans, too (infants are routinely circumcised and ears
pierced).  Just as people automatically circumcise their infant sons without
any proof that their son is prone to infections caused by the foreskin, they
also automatically declaw cats without any proof that their cat will be a
problem nail-sharpener.  Little boys' infections can probably be prevented
by good hygiene, cats' scratching problems can probably be prevented with
training.  But society has taught us that it's easier to circumcise and
declaw.  (Note: This is not considering religious beliefs requiring
circumcision - which do not hold with the majority of circumcised boys) And,
the growing trend of piercing baby girls' ears, that is mutilation purely
for cosmetic reasons.  If we are mutilating our own sons and daughters just
because "that's just what you do", do you think our pets have a chance?
(Don't flame me on the ethics of circumcision and ear piercing - I really
don't care one way or the other and consider them personal choice.  Nor am I
arguing the ethics of doing so.  But they are a non-consentual medically
unnecessary mutilation of the body, whether I consider it acceptable and
ethical or not.)

Let's consider what the vets have to work with before blaming them.
Instead, perhaps you should focus your energy on educating the public.
People need to know, first off, what declawing really is.  Secondly, they
need to know that ferrets paws are different than cats, so it's even more
important not to declaw them.  Third, and most importantly, they need to be
taught good, easily implemented, alternatives to declawing.  Sadly, your
average pet owner probably isn't going to be willing to modify their house
to accommodate their ferret.  (We also live in a disposable society where a
$120 ferret is actually valued less by most people than a $2000 sofa - but
that's another post altogether.)

- Nancy

P.S. Regarding the dog I rescued from the road.  It has a happy ending -
sort of.  The owners gave me the dog, and I am working on getting him to a
Basset Hound rescue group.  He's safe.  Their other two dogs are still with
them, however.  And, the owners won't even be fined for letting him run and
being unlicensed since I dropped the charges when they gave me the dog.  You
might be interested to know, that as lousy owners as they were, I have no
doubt that they loved this dog.  Many before me have tried to talk them into
giving up the dog, but they couldn't part with him.  I just happened to be
the lucky "final straw".  I'm sure it's the same with ferret owners who
declaw their charges.  They love them, and will keep them no matter what
anyone says.  However, instead of letting the declawed ferret run around the
house and interact with the family, the still-clawed ferret will be doomed
to a life living in a cage with a few minutes a week of closely supervised
play time -- if s/he's lucky.  The ferret won't just be given to a shelter
to go to a better home.  It's not a black and white issue, but one of many,
many shades of grey.

-----
Nancy Stephens