Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:56:12 EST
Hello all,

CFL has incurred some very large expenses this month and we need your help
badly.  We printed 7,500 Wanted Posters for distribution (3,400 are being
send directly to Ferrets Anonymous for their newsletter) in Veterinary
offices and pet stores.  These will arrive next week (along with the bill).
Please contact me if you can help us distribute the posters in your area--
we will need you to pay the postage associated with mailing the posters to
you.

We also did a small mailing to the Senate Natural Resources Committee.
This mailing was small because only one Senator has not voted in favor of
this issue and that's because she hasn't had an opportunity to vote on a
ferret bill at all yet.  That mailing, to a single Senate district, still
cost us in excess of $200.00.  But the next Committee, the Senate
Appropriations Committee, will be a slightly larger mailing and the largest
mailing will easily be the Assembly Water Parks and Wildlife Committee
where many members of this Committee are new to the legislature and new to
the ferret issue.

We also had one of the larger bills from our lobbyist but it is one of the
best expenditures we've made.  Literally one week before the February 26th
deadline, we did not have an author for a new ferret bill.  Without an
author, it would have been another two years with no progress toward our
goal.  Our lobbyist spent quite a bit of time working to ensure that our
issue got the attention it deserved and thankfully it paid off.  But we
face some uphill battles, especially in the Assembly, and we need to be
able to afford his help if we are to be successful this year.

Below is a list of our March expenses.  We've not yet received the bill
from our printer for the Wanted Poster but we were quoted $944.00 for the 4
color poster and I'm estimating a couple of hundred in shipping due to the
weight and distance (they were printed in Iowa) and the fact that about
half are going to FA in Los Angeles directly so they meet the deadline for
their newsletter.

Please help us continue our work this year on your behalf.  We will have to
cut corners and we will be much less effective if we can't afford our
mailings or our lobbyist.  With our chances looking so good this year, we
want to be able to do all we can to insure that our bill gets before
Governor Davis!

Please help us with our fight, your fight, to legalize your pets!  Send a
donation, whatever you can afford, to Californians for Ferret Legalization,
410 Mountain Home Road, Woodside, CA 94062.  Please make checks payable to
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL).

  Wanted Poster               944.00
  Shipping (est.)             200.00

  SNR Committee mailing
  Copying                      87.59
  Envelopes                    31.36
  Postage                     138.80

  Lobbyist                    983.68

Total March Expenses        2,385.43

Just a reminder to be sure to include your name and address when you write
or e-mail your State Senator.  If you don't, it will be a complete waste of
your time since your letter will be discarded.

Also, please remember to only write to your own State Senator and
Assemblymember.  Excepting Committee Chairs, it is inappropriate to write
to someone not representing your area in the legislature.

If you haven't written to your State Senator please do so now.  To find out
who represents you in the State Capitol, go to www.ferretnews.org and click
on Know your Local Representative.  Enter your zip code and there you go,
it's that easy.  If you would like a legalization packet that also includes
this information, send us your address and we'll mail one.

You all must do your part this year if we are to win!

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
410 Mountain Home Rd.
Woodside, CA 94062