From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 18:12:58 -0400
To many:
>Larissa Payne <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vets in Miami?
>I am relocating to the Coral Gables area of Miami in August.  Does anyone
>have a recommendation for a good ferret-friendly vet in the area?

South Kendall Animal Clinic is where Dr Chavez, and Dr. Pane practice.  Both
are very ferret familiar.  As to any laws or restrictions, there are NONE.
Florida is a ferret state.

>Tanya Peters <[log in to unmask]>
>Do ferrets need heartworm medicine?

Yes, absolutely.  In fact , it only takes one worm to kill a ferret due to
the small size of the ferret's heart.  Even if kept indoors, most consider
preventative treatment wise.

>Cheryl Bott <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Marshall Farms
>I would like to comment on the "Business" at Marshall Farms.  I know that I
>will illicit more than some unhappy feeling.

Thanks for your prolific post on your feelings towards the MF issue.  I am
so happy more and more are giving this some serious thought.  I will,
however, sidestep some of the less pertinent content in the hopes of getting
some things straight.  First, "open door" is a euphemism.  Try not to think
so concretely.  I cannot speak for others, but as for myself, I have NO
desire to storm the halls of MF.  What "open door" refers to is
ACCOUNTABILITY.  You mention "talks", well, some actually consider Mr Reid
downright "chatty".  Unfortunately, of little consequence.  Many have tried
to get answers since at least 1994.  Other than a few "token" actions, and a
lot of lip service, NO ONE outside knows exactly WHEN they kill their
ferrets.  HOW MANY they kill.  HOW DO THEY kill their ferrets, and a myriad
of other issues including and concrete resolutions.

I am real happy your shelters are empty.  In South Florida, they are not.
Even sadder, MANY are let go in the wild where eventually most will die if
not "picked up" by chance by a caring individual.  (many think they will
survive because of the tropical climate--so much for an informative booklet)

As for your "challenge", the MF ferrets down here with ALL the papers and
coupons go for only $99.  So thanks for proving my point that an extra 10 or
15 bucks ain't gonna kill the business.  Thanks!

As for your "puppy mill analogy"....forget it, if a person smokes in bed for
50 years, it doesn't make it a safe practice.  DENNY'S is much larger in all
aspects than MF, yet their racist practices went on for decades while
profits soared.  Longevity does NOT equate into anything and in fact is the
POOREST rationale of all.  History bears that fact.  Cheryl, you appear to
be an intelligent person, so let me appeal to that intelligence and ask that
you join in the efforts to "appeal to" MF in recognizing their
responsibility and accountability.  Historically, talk is cheap and
companies and corporations know this VERY well.  We are working on this.

Sterling is correct that these are ANIMALS NOT PRODUCTS.  Unlike your
average roll of toilet paper, animals do need advocates.

I sincerely hope MF corrects these deficits and I for one am very willing to
work WITH them.  However, "chatty" does nothing for me.  Substance does.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi