From:
Barbara Ludt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 18:02:06 -0400
Many FMLers may remember our Club's "OPERATION S.A.F.E." which took place
in December, 1997...where 54 unsocialized, breeder ferrets were voluntarily
surrendered from an Arcadia, FL breeder who could no longer provide for his
entire breeding stock.

Ferret #24...later to be named ZEUS....was one of these breeder ferrets--
and was already several years old.  Everyone who saw #24 was in awe of his
size.....unfortunately, his temperament was just as formidable!  After
neutering, he was initially fostered out to an experienced ferret
person--followed by another two "experienced" homes in rapid succession.  I
received the final call which reiterated everyone's feelings to date: This
ferret was just too unmanageable/unsocialized and EUTHANASIA was strongly
suggested.

I felt this ferret had one last hope: Jackie Hawley...a dear friend and a
former "alumna" of our South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue days down in
Miami.  She agreed to try to work with this "severe biter" and we met at
an I-95 Exit in Brunswick, GA....about halfway between our respective
shelters.  Being the ferret lover that Jackie is....she wanted to meet this
fellow immediately and proceeded to take him out of his carrier right then
and there.  Being the photo fanatic that I am....I proceeded to take aim of
their initial meeting with my camera.

It was LOVE at first sight!  ZEUS immediately kissed Jackie on her cheek
(one of my all-time favorite Kodak moments which was captured for
posterity.)  ZEUS was finally with who he wanted to be with....and Jackie
never had ANY biting problems with the big lug from that day forward!

A little over a month ago, Jackie moved down to Jacksonville with ZEUS and
the other Dook Nook shelter ferrets.  He had started slowing down and
retaining massive amounts of fluid.  A recent ultrasound showed advanced
cardiomyopathy with only 16% valve functioning....he got extra privileges
over the past few days, relishing in the handfeedings, priority cage
positioning in the kitchen, and extra snuggle times with his very special
person.  Last night, ZEUS began hemorrhaging and he was brought to one of
his veterinarians early this morning; where his Great Heart beat for the
last time....and in the arms of a very special Shelter Mom who was the
*Great Love* of his Life.

The breeder said ZEUS had fathered many of Arcadia group.....so many of
you along the East Coast from Florida to Massachusetts who adopted various
Arcadia ferrets from us may have one of his offspring.  Understandably,
Jackie could not write this sad announcement herself...and I hope I have
done them both justice.

If anyone would like to send Jackie a brief note and/or e-card....I know
she could use the support of her numerous FML friends.  Her new email is:

In Shared Sadness,
Barbara Ludt
"The Woodland Retreat"
NE FL Branch/South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
Penney Farms, FL

Visit our Shelter website at:  http://www.miamiferret.org/operations.htm
to read the story and view photos of the Arcadia Rescue...and see photos
of Jackie and her beloved, ZEUS.