From:
Leanna Aker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:32:20 -0800
I wasn't going to respond, I swear I wasn't:

>Oh please!  Four months ago it was 1,500 ferrets rescued, that's
>300/year and there's no paperwork to show that the shelter has taken in
>even 100 a year.  However, now it's 600/year.  Exaggeration/lies does
>nothing to help the integrity of the shelter.
>
>As far as finding homes for all adoptable ferrets.  The majority of
>ferrets are moved into foster homes which have from 20 to 60 ferrets.
>(Is 60 the number you now have Charlene?) That's more ferrets in foster
>homes than a lot of the "shelters" on the FML.  Ferrets are not all
>finding adoptive homes.  Most are being put into numerous foster homes.
>Although I personally think this is putting too many ferrets into
>individual homes, I'm NOT saying it's wrong (after all, what's the
>alternative?), but don't misrepresent what WFA is doing.  They have NOT
>done 3000 rescues, nor 2,000 rescues.  They have, however, helped "a
>lot" of ferrets.

According to their website, they have officially "adopted" 104 ferrets,
and yes many of them are in foster homes.  Two of the ferrets listed as
fostered are mine, and it is essentially the same thing as adopting to
me.  99 are listed as fostered.  (that's almost exactly 200 this year).
11 are listed as still needing foster homes, and 32 still needing
adoption.  that's for THIS year.  The majority of ferrets are *not* moved
into homes with 20-60 ferrets.  How do I know this?  I've met several of
the volunteers who work at the shelter, and I've discussed with them how
many ferrets they own....most of the ferrets that don't get adopted are
fostered by shelter volunteers.  And to me, fostering is the same as
adoption.  Your attacking of numbers does nothing to lend credibility to
your story either.

I believe there are two sides to every story, and as I said in my first
e-mail I posted here: I defend WFRS because I have had quite a bit of
experience with them this year.  One volunteer answers incessant e-mails
from me about behavior questions, etc....and she puts her cell phone
number on foster and adoption contracts in case we have questions.  She
is not the owner of the shelter...she is a VOLUNTEER who does this.
Please do not attack WFRS anymore.

I do not know what happened in your situation, however, you maligned
Cathy Johnson-Delaney, and is perfectly reasonable for someone else with
different experiences with her to post and defend.  As I said in my
original e-mail, "if what you say is true, GRRR!" I think it would be
terrible for a vet to do that, however, I do not know you or her.
Charleen at least knows the vet and wants to clear her name.  Reasonable.

I wish you luck in what sounds like will be a protracted battle, and my
regards to you and your late Foxy.

-LBA