From:
"Michelle A. Tonkinson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 1995 22:40:05 EDT
Hi all,
    I think the FML is great.  All of us united for one wonderful cause-
our love for our fuzzy friends!  It was sad to watch what was being posted
last week.  I wrote a post for the special ECE issue on my thoughts.
    I have a little problem, Dutch is turning out to be quite the biter,
and we have not found an idea that works.  We have tried:Bitter Apple,time
out, yelling ouch, yelling no,finger in the mouth, knuckling, flicking on
the nose, smacking his butt, and finally we bite him back.  I did it first
I did it lightly he turned around and bite me on the nose, then Mike did it
and it did not work either.  His main thing is feet, and he bites hard, and
keeps coming back.  He already weighs 2 1/2 pounds!  Any one have any other
ideas????  The odd thing is that he is so lovable other wise, he gives
kisses & cuddles, but the biting!  Tara was NEVER like this.

Laura:I use the J feeder from the Ferret Outfitters Catalog, they would
throw the food all over too, and we were wasting alot of it, so far it
works for us!  Someone had posted about the high protien Susctal(I'm sorry
I forgot who) I use it for Mitzi, and she loves it, she now weights 2 1/4
pounds she has gained a half a pound in about a month.  She had runny
stools at first, Cindy Sooy told me to add more water, I use a half a cup
of food, and 12 ounces of water with the Susctal and KMR.

Fidgety Ferrets: Tara is the same way, its' run!  run!  run!  The only time
she stays still is when she is sleeping or I am giving her an ear rub.  I
still pick her up to cuddle & kiss her it does not last more than a second
though!

Adopting From a shelter:Ok here we go....just remember folks this is just my
thoughts and or opinions on this subject.  I think a good screening process
is necessary.  I have been reading about shelters, it sounds like alot of
hard work, and alot of responsibility-that is a big key word here.  And it
also has it's rewards.  After screening a person, and if they adopt out a
ferret, they can rest a little easier knowing it went to a caring and
responsible home.  To ask me questions on caring for ferrets is not a
bother, I am proud of all I have learned from the FML & others, and I spread
that knowledge when ever I can.  I asked questions myself when I spoke to
Steve about adopting Mitzi, I wanted to know I was dealing with a
responsible shelter.  In my opinion, they do ask questions to weed out some,
but they are also looking to help you find a ferret that will adapt well to
your home.  I'll admit it gave me a good feeling to adopt Mitzi, I have
given her a good & loving home.  I would do it again, and I would go though
the questions again, it was worth it.  Sometimes we need to go a little out
of the way to find a precious gem.  Shelters don't seem to me that they are
in this to make alot of money, when you think of costs, food vets, shots,
cages ect.  It's a labor of love.  I am a member of Pam Grant's newsletter,
the booklet she sent me on caring for ferrets was very informative.  It
points out the need to ask these questions.  How do ferrets end up in
shelters???  Sometimes people move away, or are just unable to care for them
anymore, but I feel most are turned over that were bought at pet stores and
did not take the time & care to take care of the animal properly.  I belive
it was Pam's spring newsletter that had a survey rundown on shelters, on how
many animals were turned in and then adopted out, I think the turnover
numbers were mostly in the high 90's too a 100%.

Just as you would find a pedigree dog in a shelter, you can find a wonderful
ferret friend too.  I don't think shelters need to compete, with people like
us on the FML & in our clubs spreading the word..most of the ferrets will
find good homes, and it is worth the extra time you might need to spend.
I'm sorry this is so long, but I feel very strongly on this issue not just
with ferrets, but with our other animal friends as well.

                                    Michelle