Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:19:49 -0600
Ellie is now 48 hours post-surgery.

Although we had seen lots of gas in the Xray, there was no blockage.
What we saw was some mottling on the liver, and some REALLY ANGRY red
intestines! (As Lisette mentioned, we sent a little piece of Ellie`s
liver to the lab.) Our best guess was a raging infection, and/or
toxicity issues.

Ellie has been on Baytril, amoxi, carafate, famotidine injections,
fluids, and special feedings, as well as some fantastic pain medicine.
We are adding Essiac to two of her daily feedings, and I am also giving
B complex shots daily for stress.

So -- in 48 hours, we have gone from a ferret with glazed eyes, who
wretched at even the smell of food, to a little girl who is eating soup
on her own. Her tongue starts licking the air when she smells it LOL!
She is walking around the cage, climbing into her litterbox, and making
some nice tubular poo (which no longer smells foul!) She is very
curious about the ferrets in the cages across the room from her.

The report from the lab should be back soon. If it`s cancer, we can`t
change that -- but if it was a toxicity issue, the liver can sometimes
regenerate. In any case, little Ellie feels so very much better
tonight. We have been sending pictures to Auntie Lisette so she can
see the progress :)

I want you to know that Lisette DID take this ferret to a (new) local
vet right away, when she saw the black, tarry poo. When she told him
she needed carafate, because she suspected Ellie had an ulcer, he
laughed it off. His comment was "Ulcers are very uncommon in ferrets"
If ever a vet should tell you this, please run like Hell. Vets like
this are dangerous. When he held Ellie, he also made a comment that
"Ferrets are so docile & cuddly"  When Lisette said "She`s docile
because she`s sick" he looked at her like she was from outer space. He
thought Ellie was displaying normal ferret behavior by just lying there
motionless in his arms & not being curious about her surroundings. Vets
like this know very little about our precious babies, and could
unwittingly do great harm :(

Please say a little prayer that the lab report is good, and that little
Ellie can finally enjoy being a real ferret.

Thanks.

Love,
Zoo