From:
Toni James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:49:54 -0000
Hi All!

I live in Mississippi and have posted once, asking about my youngest getting
sick after being vaccinated.  I appreciate the help for I didn't know that
allergic reactions can happen when you go down to have shots, it didn't
happen to my other four.  Anyhow, I would like to introduce myself and the
family.  I am Toni.

I, myself wouldn't want to read about me so I will get right to my babies,
well, Mama and my babies.  Our first one is Bandit.  We got him in March of
96.  He is a black sable standard.  When my brother came home and said "I
want a ferret," Mama said "I ain't having no rat in my house!" So we went
down to see them and they were so cute and everything, Mama was the one who
picked out the one we would get.  Bandit is HER baby!  He was pretty much
treated like such, held all the time, played in the living room only, and on
Mama's waterbed.  Having two dogs prevents us from letting him have full
roam of the house.  His first words were a bark, like from a dog, for that
was all he knew.  Every morning he barked at us, telling us to hold him.

Five months later, in August, we found Brey in a pet store severly
malnourished.  She was 9 months old and we thought it would be nice for
Bandit to have a friend.  He didn't know what to think of her, and he would
try to pull her around by her ears (she didn't have any guard hairs, just a
thin undercoat) and show that he was the boss.  But as soon as she got her
strength, and was feeling at home, she put him in his place.  And instead of
her becoming a friend, she became a mom to him.  She tought him to be a
ferret.  She cleans his ears, tought him to wipe dry after the litter box,
everything.  We just have to teach her to stay out of the couch.  We had to
staple a sheet underneath and make sure she doesn't get under the cushions.
She is stubborn.

In September we went down after my dad's birthday to get ferret food and
they had new kits in.  Mama fell in love again and we decided a good way to
get one, was a belated presented to my dad.  After we took her home, my
brother make the comment that it would be nice if she had someone her own
age so she could play with it instead of being ganged up on by Bandit and
Brey.  My dad got the hint and they went down and my dad picked out his
other belated birthday gift.  Sticking to the tradition of "B" names, we
named them Belle and Brock.  Belle WAS a silver mitt, but now she is turning
on us.  Her head is turning white, and she is developing a creamy undercoat
instead of her white one.  Anyway, Brock is a cinnamon, we think.  He is
HUGE.  He has big feet and when he was 10 weeks, he was the size of Bandit.

Then November came and we needed more food, and the pet store had in more
kits.  They were being bought fast now for we were going around town showing
off our four beauties the month before.  Mama and I got there at eight in
the morning.  The first ones to see them.  These seemed smaller, and it made
us wary, but in the end, after a phone call to my dad at work (he knew
nothing of our little plan) he said okay, but this was it.  We found two,
Blackee, a female black sable solid, and Blanco, a male albino.

Oh it was such a good New Year, having 6 ferrets and two dogs and two tanks
of fish to begin the new year with.  Little did we know that four days later
we would meet Ba-leigh.  More food was needed and there she was, so skinny,
dirty, and nasty looking, but cute.  Fell in love on sight, and a phone call
later to my dad, we had her home in the tub, fed, and nails trimmed, all
ready to meet the family.  Ba-leigh was apparently abused for she shook when
you made any sudden moves to her.  You couln't tell that now.  She is part
of the family and you would guess she had been here for more than a couple
of weeks.

So, for now, that is our family.  After custom building a cage, making
modifications around the house, and the sorts, we can proudly say, we are
ferret lovers, or we don't know what we are in for.  : )

Love from all ; )
Toni,
Bandit, Brey, Belle, Brock, Blackee, Blanco, & Ba-leigh