Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:54:36 EDT
Hi - regarding the person who had an inquiry on Chow's and ferts......we
have a chow/wolf/golden retriever mix (yes,what a combo eh?).  The poor
boy lives in a house with 4 kids, 4 cats and 4 fuzzbutts.  ALL of our
animals either ride the dog, chew on the dogs ears, toes or nose - what
ever is readily available to their furry little mouths.  This poor guy
is picked on mercilessly by the ferts and the cats sit back and silently
"egg: them on.  He has endured some interesting things - and not ONCE
in his life has he ever even growled at any of the other animals -
especially the ferts - who incidentally, are his greatest tormenters.  I
think he realizes that they are playing with him and for him, that is an
"acceptance" - and a good thing he thinks!!!  His ears have been chewed -
his eyes scrathed by fuzzies - etc.  Not ONCE has he raised a hairy paw
to the kids.  When and If they get too rough with him, he will gently
pick them up in his mouth, and bring them to me.  Usually only works
with the ferrets.....he found out in short order that it wasn't a good
idea to do this with the cats......lol.  I think that ALOT depends on how
the animal was raised.  If your friend has had him since he was a puppy -
chances are he will do whatever pleases him/her.  We are extremely lucky
with our dog - especially with the mix that he is.  Having the wolf in
him, we wondered for a while how he would be.

The only thing that we see different - is that he is very "territorial" -
to any OUTSIDERS, i.e., people ones.  Animals are fine.  He is also very
protective - not only of our family, but of his fuzzies too.  A stray
dog got into our yard one time when the kids were out in their playpen.
Suffice it to say - the poor dog left - very quickly - thanking the stars
that he still had all of his furry appendages attached......but as to the
original question - he is great w/the kids.  You can pretty much judge
how the animal will be by slowly introducing him to fuzzies, with an
adult there.

Kim and Her Army of Idiots.