From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 03:34:42 -0400
BTW, deer do not play a unique part in the cycle of Lyme Disease.  They
are merely hosts at the same time that we, some domestics and about 30
species of wild animals are also hosts.  The reservoir animals for Lyme
Disease are ground nesting rodents, and there is currently some research
going on to see if if it might be possible to decrease the disease in
that reservoir using medicated bait.

Over 800 tick species world wide (which seems very low considering how
old ticks are).

Canada is considered a country with few at only 40 species.
http://res2.agr.ca/ecorc/ti/index_e.htm

The site below has some interesting info on ticks and tick borne diseases
http://home.earthlink.net/~webmedic4u/ticks.html

Tick Paralysis in the U.S. -- something for people in those areas to
consider in relation to their ferrets as well as themselves:
chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/documents/FACT/18-017-0105.pdf

info on the 5 types of ticks most commonly found in the national parks
of the U.S.
http://www.nature.nps.gov/biology/ipm/manual/ticks.htm
 and
http://www.britishecologicalsociety.org/articles/grants/reports/1426/