From:
Laura Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 21:17:51 -0400
This is just a clip from an internet news story I receive.  Thought it might
be of some minimal interest to others out there.

"The once-common prairie dog may be threatened with extinction unless the
federal government halts wholesale shootings and poisonings of the
burrowing rodent, an environmental group said Friday.  The National
Wildlife Federation filed a petition with the Fish and Wildlife Service,
asking it to issue emergency regulations to list the black-tailed prairie
dog as a threatened species.  The prairie dog is the main source of food
for the black-footed ferret.  It once ranged over 100 million to 250
million acres of grasslands, but intentional poisoning, disease,
unregulated shootings, development and farming have reduced its habitat
to between 700,000 and 800,000 acres."

BIG - BFF discussions were deemed appropriate, right?  Sorry if I was
wrong... but thought you all might enjoy this.  There IS a ferret reference
in there!!  I swear!  :)

Another story I read that I thought was interesting... a 6 ft. or so
crocodile was found in San Fran walking along the road... it was taken by
animal control, wondering how the hell it got there in the first place.  An
anonymous call was placed by the alleged owner saying the croc got out while
he was moving.  The gentleman refused to come and claim it since owning a
croc in CaCa was illegal and the man faced possible imprisonment.  Is this
abandonment the fate of our lil fuzzies whose owners fear facing jail time,
all because of their love for these wonderful creatures?  I suppose so, but
what a sad thought... Here's to renewing our efforts to band together and
fight the injustice.  Anything a non-Californian can do?  (And no, I don't
know anyone there.  <sigh>)

Love and kisses from me and the Queens,

Laura, Zen, and Bu