From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 22:44:33 -0400
The pathology of multiple Eastern individuals with some of the mystery
symptoms have come up with coccidea when the pathology was done after
death.  (The parvo positive gotten on one fecal-test individual who turned
out to have kidney disease and some other problems did not bear out in
later checks.) For whatever reason this strain of coccidea being seen has
killed a number of ferrets and has not been easily found in tests while
alive.  Coccidea has the ability to be quiet till it suddenly has a large
hatch in one or more isolated patches of intestine so even if it is treated
then what can happen is that a dangerous enteritis can start.  If you have
been seeing severe runs with or without mouth sores, PLEASE, mention this
to your vet so that a course of Albon for EVERY ferret in your household
can be considered -- don't leave anyone untreated if possible or it can
start up again.  Even if you haven't seen these symptoms, let your vet know
in case these cases are showing up near you.  Locations seen so far with
symptoms: NY, NJ, PA, OH, MD, VA, FL.  I am not sure which states are
represented in the testing.  If you are encountering such symptoms do NOT
let other ferrets near your's.  If friends have had such symptoms in their
ferrets do not expose your ferrets to their's.  This is not a mild strain,
there are a large number of ferrets dead already.

If you are dealing with something like this let me know and send your vet's
name, practise, address, and phone number so that we can get your vet in
touch with the pathologist looking at these cases.

Sukie