From:
Todd & Andi Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 1995 19:44:48 -0400
I just wanted to let everybody know that this (Thursday) morning, we had to
put Bailey to sleep. If you remember, I thought we were going to do this a
couple months ago. I took her off almost all of her medicines to make her
life more pleasant, and just 2 days before we were going to do it, she
rallied - until Wednesday night.

I came home from class at 9pm, and let everybody out. I hadn't seen her
since the morning, so I checked on her around 11pm. She was in bad shape. I
tried very hard to get her sugar up, but I couldn't. My husband was working
very late out of state, so I couldn't get her to a vet (Believe me, I
tried...I called every vet within walking distance of my apartment in
Center City & not one of them was willing to see me even on an emergency
basis unless she was a regular patient!!)

I'm not even sure if it was her sugar. Except for being unconscious, almost
everything was different. Her mouth was open, instead of closed. She had a
massive bloody bowel movent, and kept crying. She even smelled differently.
Todd came home around 3am, and we decided to just wait a couple more hours.

This morning first thing he took her to a vet, and he said that even though
her heart was beating, there wasn't anything he could do...her pupils were
fixed and dilated, which he said indicated massive brain damage.  There
didn't seem to be any other option.

She had a tough year with us, but I'm glad we took her in when we had the
opportunity. I sure learned more from her than I have from any of our
others. I was even able to apply all the things I'd learned from trying to
keep her healthy to keep Mozart alive for 6 months with lymphosarcoma.
Mostly, I miss the only true lap ferret we've ever had.

I just wanted to thank everybody that has helped us out with our many
health questions.

Andi