From:
"Michael Schieman, Mee Maw and ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 00:15:46 EST
Far to the east of the snow covered Wisconsin hillside where Dances with
Joy lay Dreaming, a weary carpenter and his young wife trudged the final,
few steps toward a stable that was in need of much repair.

A bright Light had filled the sky as they approached the stable.  With each
and every step that the couple took, the Light seemed to coalesce into a
single, bright Star - a Star that had never been seen before - a Star that
shown with a joyous brilliance over the humble place that would give rest
to the weary couple that night.

"I'm sorry, Mary," the carpenter apologized, "This is the only lodging I
could find for us this night.  Here, I've fluffed up a pile of hay for you
to lie upon.  Let me help you down from the donkey."

"Don't apologize, Joseph."  Mary replied.  "After the journey we've taken,
that pile of hay looks to me like the finest bed I've ever lain upon.  It
will be a perfect place for me to bear our Son."

"Our Son is coming tonight?" Joseph stammered, "Let me go into Bethlehem
and bring back its finest doctors!  I never would have brought you to such
a place if I knew that the Child would be born tonight!"

"Oh, Joseph, you are just too sweet," Mary breathed as a contraction hit
her and she realized, perhaps for the first time, just how much this aging
carpenter really loved her.

"No, Joseph, stay with me.  This Child is not only ours, He is the Gift of
God Above.  Our Father will watch over us this night for our Child is His
Son too.  Besides, I see two, small glowing eyes bouncing across the
hillside; they seem to be leading creatures of all kinds - and shepherds
too - toward this stable.  I think God Above has sent one of his angel
ferrets to be with us tonight, and I think there will be more before this
night is done."

The ferret, whose name was Josh - the father of Jesse - smiled when he
heard Mary's words.  "I never realized how seriously God would take that
single word, Christmas, when I whispered it into His ear.  I think it must
have made a mighty impression upon Him when I gave Him the gift of my only
son.  He's giving Himself, in the form of His Sons, to many mothers
tonight, according to the needs of their people."

"Oh," Mary cried out.  "Joseph, please hold me.  The Child is about to be
born."

Josh smiled as he herded shepherds and creatures closer to the stable.  All
fell to their knees as the moment was fulfilled as Mary delivered her
Child.  "Jesse, my son," Josh prayed, "It's time."

God Above smiled as He witnessed the birth of His first Son.  "He's so
small and fragile, so very human; but He's also Me - full and complete.
I like this idea of Christmas!"

About that time, God heard the prayer that Josh had prayed.  "Well," He
said, " I have other Gifts to give this night."  With that said, God doffed
His robes of homespun wool and stared into His closet - a closet that
contained many garments of many different types.

"Ah, yes," the Maker intoned as He found the suit of clothes that He was
looking for.  "I haven't worn this outfit for a very long time.  These
folks don't seem to need as much help from Me as some of the others do.
Nevertheless, they shall share in My gift too."

Father Above smiled a secret smile as He put on a robe of bison hide.  It
was decorated with feathers of many colors, beads that reflected the Light
that shown from His eyes, and porcupine quills woven into intricate
patterns.  Then He placed upon His head a bonnet that was festooned with
bright feathers, quills, beads, and fragments of sacred fur.

He looked with Love upon the Wisconsin hillside where a very small ferret
shivered and lay entranced within Her Dream.

He also looked within the lodge that lay at the base of the hill where New
Mother snuggled next to her husband, feeling the eminent birth of the Gift
within her.

"Jesse," He whispered, "Wake Dances with Joy from her Dream.  Be quick
about it, mind you.  I have many more Gifts to give tonight, many places
to visit."

To be continued.....

Joy to the World!

Paw Paw