From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 13:08:07 -0400
Julie writes:
>In contrast, reference (2) suggests the isospora species that
>infects ferrets may cross- infect dogs and cats, so other species in
>the household should be checked for coccidia and treated as needed.
>I do not know which reference is correct.

Many years ago we had to treat our entire household when a petstore in
this area had multiple species with coccidia and it arrived here from
Warp, who was a multiple time returnee to the store and who was going
through anorexia.  When the store was contacted about the coccidia it not
only failed to cover the medication for our household (which was at that
time required by a relatively new state law) but what really worried us
was that the management refused to test or treat any of the animals in
the store.  Our vet provided the info on hospital letterhead to the state
and also to MF whose ferrets were sold there, and we provided MF with
info on the living conditions of ferrets in the store (3 six month old
ones in a 10 gallon aquarium (sadly not exaggerating) and a copy of the
infection information.  The state came in and did spot tests and found
the coccidia to be be in ferrets, dogs, and I can't recall if also in
cats.  I do not know if the coccidia was of one or more species.  With
the way things were then anything would have been possible in that
location.  The store was then required to treat all of the animals, and
then afterward to transfer them to one of their other branches for sale
because that particular store was not allowed to sell most animals for
6 months due to health conditions found.  Meanwhile, MF refused to sell
the chain ferrets until they provided a humane set-up for ferrets, so 6
months later when they had animals again conditions were much, much
better in that store and conditions for ferrets improved for the chain.

Coccidia is pretty capable of throwing variants, so it would not at
all surprise me if some are species specific but others are not, but
I am not a pathologist so not the one to know the answer.
---

If they can not operate on the R  adrenal then provide such meds as

Lupron
Melatonin implant
Proscar/Propecia
Casodex is an alternative
Flomax is sometimes used

There may be other things to help.  Look up related posts by AFERRETVET
in the FHL archives.  Addy is in my sig lines.

These will get you started:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG6795
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG5436
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG16791
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG12819
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG10132
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG9678
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG8354
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG7311

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org