From:
Dawn Gsoell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 22:36:07 -0500
Dear FML,
I have really enjoyed this contact with knowledgeable ferret owners.  I got
my ferrets in March and April, ferret math, and read this list every day.

I am writing for advice on two different questions that I don't find much
(if any) info about in the FAQ.  I keep my ferrets in a cage, they are
allowed out anytime they get up, and go potty.  That amounts to several runs
a day, and when Thelma goes to find a sleep spot they both go back to their
cage.  I feed them a mixture of 3 dry foods,(always available) Science Diet
feline growth formula, Totally Ferret, and 8 in 1 ferret food.  I just got
the totally ferret at the St.  Paul Civic Center Pet Expo.  The man at Warm
Fuzzy ferrets told me they might stop eating wierd stuff if they had better
food.  I am slowly switching them from the 8 in 1 to the totally ferret.
Two questions on food: Is there a problem with mixing their ferret food with
kitten food?  Someone mentioned problems with kitten food.  Second, why does
Thelma seek out wierd stuff to eat?  So far she has eaten a superball, most
of the acryllic fur off an ear muff (that made her vomit), fabric from the
couch, part of a paper towel, garlic bread, tried hard to get to carnation
instant breakfast, marshmallow peeps, and oreos.  Most of these things were
taken away from her before she ate much, but the ones that she managed to
eat alot of got her a three day stint on cat laxative.  Laweasel has eaten a
few wierd things, but nowhere near as much as Thelma.  The other question I
have is this: Can ferrets become laxative dependent?  I have heard of this
problem in humans.  Doctors discourage frequent dependence on laxatives
because of the possiblilty of laxative dependence.

My other question has more to do with behavior (I hope).  I got some really
cool harnesses from Warm Fuzzy Ferret at the pet expo.  They are kinda
small, but still fit.  I'll order some bigger ones next time I get paid.
Laweasel loves to be outside on the leash.  She runs and stops to lay flat,
frolics, runs etc.  I got a splitter and put them both on the same leash.
Thelma goes flat and just lays there, Laweasel just drags her along, it's
pretty pitiful.  So, I usually try them together for awhile, then take
Thelma off the lead and put her in my little ferret bag.  She goes limp, and
it's scarey!  It's like she's going to sleep, but she's not.  It scares me
because she is shaking all over.  If I put her on the leash alone, she does
the same thing as soon as I take her off.  Is she terrified, exhausted, or
does she have some sort of stress reaction?  I can't tell.  Any replies will
be greatly appreciated.

By the way ... BEST OF LUCK TO KODO, WE LOVE YOU.