From:
JudithMoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 05:24:18 -0700
I know that no matter what or how I say this someone is going to
misconstrue what is said, but here goes...

I think most ferret owners that are on this list tend to be overprotective
and don't understand their animals.  Having been raised on a farm, I have
come to realize that most animals are quite capable of doing for themselves.

I watch and care for my animals on a daily basis.  But I do not panic at
the first little bit of diaherrea, sniffles and cough.  The first thing is
to think back and see what has been done or changed recently.  New food, a
different treat?

Second, why do so many on the list feel that they should be free to
criticize anyone who's program does not match theirs?

Not spaying a jill is much more natural and has a lot fewer problems than
doing so.  The main reason for spaying is because there are just too many
irresponsible people out there.  Using a v hob is perhaps the safest and
best way to take a jill out of season.  There is no unusual stress on a
jill with a false pregnancy or the use of a v hob.

I advocate and require spaying because most people do not have or want to
keep and intact male (v hob) around to service their jills.  Nature
intended certain cycles.  Our animals are much healthier if those cycles
are left alone.  Our animals manage to get along when we change those
things that are natural.

The less interference with what nature intended the healthier the animal.
My breeding jills snuggle, play and war dance just as much as any spayed
jill.  They tend to live very long (9 yrs.  for some) with absolutely no
signs of cancer or sickness.  I can honestly say we have only had three
instances of sick animals in over 12 years of breeding animals.  We adhere
to the rules nature has set down as closely as possible.  We believe that
mother nature really does know best.

Judith Moon, owner Moonsong Ferretry,
a totally different kind of ferretry.
http://moonsongferrets.virtualave.net