From:
Renzo Cattai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 19:33:28 -0500
Hi everyone,

My Sammy needs some help.  I brought him in for his yearly blood work and
he has some abnormal values.  His PCV is elevated in the 70's, repeated.
Albumin, creatine are also evelvated.  Globulin is below normal levels.
At first the vet thought he was a little dehydrated so I gave him 50cc of
water a day for three days (I usually give 20cc a day + whatever he drinks
on his own) repeated the PCV and it was still high.  The vet is going to
do some research and contact her colleagues for consultation.  She said
polycythemia is unusual in a ferret.  I have been feeding him Chicken Gravy
5-6cc with a few dorps of ferretone and a small amount of ferretvite once a
day for about 2 weeks as a nutritional supplement, could these be a causing
these abnormal values?  His cholesterol level is normal.  He is bright,
responsive and alert.  I was wondering if anyone out there has seen this
before or has any information I could relay.  HELP...............

Best wishes to all and your beasties.

Dona & Sampson